English Championship

A league I watch a lot of over the last few years kicks off tonight with Sunderland v Derby and Notts Forest v Millwall.

18 of the 24 clubs have played Premier League football showing how competitive this league gets. There are two former European Champions in the division with Villa and Forest.

There will be big derbies in the second city derby between Villa and Brum, the Steel city derby returns in Sheffield, the old farm derby at Norwich v Ipswich.

The bookies favourites are Steve Bruces Aston Villa with Gary Monks Middlesboro right behind them.

I find those a bit surprising. For Villa John Terry is obviously the stand out signing but he has not played at this level before in a 100 mph demanding league which is both a marathon and a sprint. Gabby Agbonlahor has put form and weight issues behind him and back in the team so thats potential straight away. But Bruce is one of those managers who knows this division and he will see himself finally at a big club - possibly top 8 in the country on their day (would he have got the job otherwise) - and will see this as his chance to build.

Middlesboro have put in a good manager who is now at his third club and he has to keep up his good reputation. He has addressed the goalscoring problem by spending 24 million on a few strikers - Britt Assombalonga from Forest and Martin Braithwaite from Toulouse.

Straight away I would put Fulham 7/1 up their as favourites, they were quality in the second half of last season but just fell short at the end. Id equally put Derby 12/1 and Reading 14/1 in there. Jaap Stam did wonders in his first season and will improve, they only missed out due to Huddersfields rise from nowhere. Derby have Gary Rowett who was unbelievably dismissed from Birmingham last year while they were in the play off hunt only for them to collapse and avoid relegation on the last day.

Sheff Wed are the other in the runners and riders but I expect a play off spot at best.

Wolves are the bookies surprise team - a big club on their day but I dont know why they would propel from mid table to challenging with another set of rash owners. They have forked out on Ruben Neves from Porto for a club record £15m.

Norwich also need a mention but have let go some players for their second season in the league so they may find this one a bit tougher.

Relegated Sunderland are in a bit of a mess but have a real working in Simon Grayson in charge who had Preston punching above their weight. Fellow relegated Hull have sold off a load of players and lost their quality manager Marco Silva so could be in for a tough season.

Harry Redknapp is back and in charge of Birmingham. he went their thinking he would bring in household names like Terry and Robbie Keane but cant get any names over the line so far. I dont expect to see Harry lasting the full campaign if doesnt get a few bargains on transfer deadline day.

Mark Warburton has made signings at Forest and will be trying to push them up the table. A lot of Bears will have interesting eyes on them this season to see how they do.

Leeds make yet another change of manager and I simply dont know what to expect from these giants.

Sheff United return to this flight and will be hoping for a solid season. They return along with Bolton who will hope for survival.

QPR are in a bit of a mess in the last few seasons and Ian Holloway is back in charge - again will he last the season!!

Cardiff have plummeted since their 1 season in the top flight and have expectations.

Mick McCarthy at Ipswich is under huge pressure after a 6-1 thumping from Charlton last week. With no money to spend he has done well there but the fans are now turning.

Brentford and Preston will be hoping for very respectable mid table finishes again along with Barnsley.

Burton and Bristol City had wonderful finishes last season to avoid the drop and will hope for the same around this season but Bristol City may set sights higher.

And then there is Millwall......

I am tipping Fulham and Aston Villa to go up automatically.

Play Offs - Reading, Derby, Middlesboro, Sheff Wed.

Relegated - Burton, Millwall, Bolton.

Very good analysis.

This is a competitive league. I have no clue who will go up. I would like it to be Wolves, Wednesday and Villa but I expect to be disappointed. Normally I'd like Sunderland to be back but a season in the the Championship might let them weed out the dross and get in players who actually want to play.

McKay just scored for Forest. 1-0 just before half time

Sunderland v Derby is 1-1 at half time. Sunderland by far the better team but couldn't take chances. Derby with one chance score

Went to put a draw on at Sunderland but decided I will cut back on betting on singles outwith the top flight. What a bad decision that was.

Mckays goal was supposed to be a screamer. Yet Millwall were the better side in the game.

Just saw the Forest highlights: 70% possession, very little created -- outside one decent long-range striker from McKay --, vulnerable from corners and loose play from the 'keeper trying to play from the back. Where have we seen that before? MW even made a double substitution on 59 minutes...

Just saw the Forest highlights: 70% possession, very little created -- outside one decent long-range striker from McKay --, vulnerable from corners and loose play from the 'keeper trying to play from the back. Where have we seen that before? MW even made a double substitution on 59 minutes...

All the callers to Talksport and match report said Forest were lucky and were getting caught out in their own third all the time, when better teams play them they wont get away with it.

I think we all know what will happen to Notts Forest. They'll have a decent first six games before descending into mediocrity through mid-season and finally crashing and burning in February/March.

Villa continue last years trend of draws with a home draw with Hull. I had a look at Villas starting XI and based on that I would change my prediction and wouldnt tip them to go up automatically. Also considering they have to better their points tally this season by about 35 to get up thats a tough ask with nearly the same team. I know its only one game but I dont see how thats possible.

QPRs win was surprise of the day.

A quick note on league 1, Blackburn start life there with a defeat at Southend.

A chap called Joe Garner netted the only goal as Ipswich beat Birmingham 1-0.

McKay and Garner grabbing winners on their debuts. For me id have rather seen McKay stay at Ibrox but Im still glad Garner left.