Judge - Rangers own goal re EBT’s

TAX BLAST 

Top judge in Rangers’ ‘Big Tax Case’ branded the Ibrox club’s use of EBTs as an “own goal”

Speaking for the first time since the Supreme Court verdict in July, he said the Employee Benefit Trusts had a “fatal flaw or own goal”

EXCLUSIVE
By Kevin Duguid
6th January 2018, 9:36 pm

A TOP judge in Rangers’ ‘Big Tax Case’ branded the Ibrox club’s use of EBTs as an “own goal”.

Lord Hodge used footie lingo to explain how Supreme Court beaks ruled against the controversial payment scheme.

Lord Hodge discussed the reasons behind the ruling

Lord Hodge discussed the reasons behind the ruling

He even used the offside law to highlight the reasons why ‘loans’ made to Light Blues players and staff were deemed taxable earnings following a bitter court battle.

The judge made the references in a lecture to experts titled: “The RFC case, tax avoidance schemes and statutory interpretations: offside goals, yellow cards and own goals.”

Speaking for the first time since the Supreme Court verdict in July, he said the Employee Benefit Trusts had a “fatal flaw or own goal”.

He added: “The RFC 2012 judgement is in my view consistent with the more recent tax law on the interpretation of taxing statutes.

“The court could detect nothing to support the view Rangers argued.”

The judge used footie lingo to explain EBT scheme used by Rangers

The judge used footie lingo to explain EBT scheme used by Rangers

And referring to the impact of a ruling from 1981, he told the Edinburgh Tax Network: “It was as if the courts had moved the defenders up the field in order to make the taxpayer’s shot into the net an offside goal.”

James Price from the TaxPayers’ Alliance last night hailed the “interesting” language.

In a swipe at HMRC, he said: “At least it was understandable, unlike the tax laws under discussion.

“Whilst the tax code continues to resemble a goalmouth scramble, these cases will keep appearing.

“The whole code should be cut down and simplified so Rangers can devote more attention to the pitch and less to the courtroom.”

MOST READ IN NEWS

Former Ibrox supremo David Murray

Former Ibrox supremo David Murray

Lord Hodge was one of five Supreme Court judges to snub an appeal by liquidators BDO that the EBTs were tax-free loans.

More than £47million was paid to Rangers players, managers and directors between 2001 and 2010 by Murray Group, owned by ex-Ibrox supremo Sir David Murray.

It emerged this week that the public purse has not received a penny of the £72million owed to the taxman by BDO since Gers’ demise in 2012.

I think I know a song about that.  

I also think I've read enough about our EBT situation for one lifetime.  I'll leave it to demented yahoos to spend their sorry lives making films about it and then broadcasting them at the Piggery.  Deary me...I could almost pity them if they were human.  

6 minutes ago, Gazza_8 said:

I'm so fuckin bored of all this now. The media and opposition fans just can't move on. The obsession is ruining our game. 

A good speedboat skims through rough water. Water off a ducks back. Just ignore it.

2 minutes ago, pete said:

A good speedboat skims through rough water. Water off a ducks back. Just ignore it.

Yeah it doesn't annoy me or make me mad, it's just so boring now. It's been the same chat now for 6 years. 

2 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

Ok, will not post anything more on ebt’s.>:(

Not aimed at you or any Rangers fans but to the opposition fans who constantly bring it up thinking it winds us up. That and 'sevco'. 

Like driving down a 40mph road for ten years, then its changed to 30mph and they fine you for driving at 40 for the previous 10yrs.

Obsession cant just go away. It lingers for years and takes over some peoples lives. It must be annoying the media prick who approached this 'judge'.