Pedro Caixinha is a funny guy

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-set-recoup-cash-expensive-11814307

Sorry it’s the Record but I couldn’t find his familiar words elsewhere. 

Rangers are set to recoup their cash on flop Mexican marquee signing Carlos Pena.

Pedro Caixinha’s new club Cruz Azul have agreed to pay his weekly wage of £20,000 in full until the end of the season.

They’ve also agreed to fork out almost £2million to make the transfer permanent this summer if he impresses on his return to his homeland after six miserable months in Scotland.

Pena was in the stands at the weekend as Caixinha watched his new team being booed off after a goalless draw at home to Tijuana.

The ex-Gers boss insists the Ibrox outcast will be a soaring success at his new club as he claimed the playmaker was flying at Rangers.

Pena hit five goals but split the Gers support with inconsistent displays and his battle to get up to speed with the Scottish game.

Caixinha said: “Pena is here and he will be a great signing. I know the qualities he can bring to Cruz Azul.

“He was starting to fly in Scotland after taking time to adjust and he will be a great asset for us.”

Caixinha’s reign got off to a stumbling start in front of 20,000 disgruntled Cruz Azul fans but the Portuguese manager is convinced his new team are a step up to the side he left behind in Glasgow.

He added: “This is by far the best team I’ve managed in my career.

“They are the best squad of players I have ever had to work with. We should have won but I think the fans can be pleased at the style of football we have played.

“I want us to be aggressive and we were. When I won the league with Santos Laguna, we started with two defeats so I am not worried about only drawing. We will get better.”

Edited by Barebear

1 hour ago, John_Eric_Bartholomew said:

Reads like he is going there to do exactly the same thing as he did here. He has learnt nothing and seems more defiant than the magic hat, that his system works.

But, I'll be grateful if we get 2mil back for Peña!

I won't get too exited about them buying Pena in the summer as Caixinha probably will be sacked by then.

5 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Think I'd ask for a chunck of it now just in case our Pedro isn't in the job come the summer. 

You sneaked that in while I was typing and eating a sandwich at the same time. :) Great minds think alike as they say.

Pena wasn't the all-round midfielder we were expecting, but I really don't see how he was a "flop"; his goal-to-game ratio is superb, and his ability to find space in the box likewise. The narrative is quite clear.  

I'd rather keep Pena. However, if we're able to recoup the money and put it into a better all-rounder, then so be it.

1 hour ago, pete said:

You sneaked that in while I was typing and eating a sandwich at the same time. :) Great minds think alike as they say.

Hah, either that or 'fools seldom differ'! 

Rousseau, don't be surprised if Pena is quite keen on a return to Mexico. Whatever his goal to game ration is he's struggled to find a regular starting place, we've struggled to understand and adapt to his 'game' and with Pedro gone his chief supporter has gone. Murty has used him, and used him well at times, but this might be a mutual thing rather than us simply looking to offload him. Pena's biggest problem is one of expectation. The fee paid for him and the stories that followed him created the impression that he was going to be a big, big player. That's not his fault of course. On balance moving him on seems like the wisest course to me. 

10 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Hah, either that or 'fools seldom differ'! 

Rousseau, don't be surprised if Pena is quite keen on a return to Mexico. Whatever his goal to game ration is he's struggled to find a regular starting place, we've struggled to understand and adapt to his 'game' and with Pedro gone his chief supporter has gone. Murty has used him, and used him well at times, but this might be a mutual thing rather than us simply looking to offload him. Pena's biggest problem is one of expectation. The fee paid for him and the stories that followed him created the impression that he was going to be a big, big player. That's not his fault of course. On balance moving him on seems like the wisest course to me. 

Yes, his main reason for coming is gone, so I wouldn't be surprised; which is understandable. If we're recouping the money it's not a bad idea to move him on. 

(It's most definitely 'fools seldom differ'... :ninja::D)