Giggs takes Wales job

First permanent managers job for Giggs. Seems he gets touted for every premier league job outside of the top 6 but hasnt landed one job. Not sure why nobody took a punt on him. Now he takes the international job which is tough as this Welsh good period seems its fazing out.

Good luck getting Bale to play in friendlies! Giggs should hold the international caps record but he avoided them for 16 years.

First permanent managers job for Giggs. Seems he gets touted for every premier league job outside of the top 6 but hasnt landed one job. Not sure why nobody took a punt on him. Now he takes the international job which is tough as this Welsh good period seems its fazing out.

Good luck getting Bale to play in friendlies! Giggs should hold the international caps record but he avoided them for 16 years.
A decent appointment. I always think that international management is the place to start for young managers. Added to the fact that Wales don't have any serious expectations about winning things.

I think I'm the only one who thinks this is a bad move? What's he done? It's the playing career that gets him in the door at most jobs -- not getting them ultimately -- but that doesn't mean he's going to make a good manager. 

I suppose it is difficult to attract names to the Wales job.

I think he has to start someplace and I would imagine it's the case that many players get their first management job on the basis of their playing career in the sense of who they played for and at what level.  It's what got Souness his first management job and that at a high profile club.

10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think he has to start someplace and I would imagine it's the case that many players get their first management job on the basis of their playing career in the sense of who they played for and at what level.  It's what got Souness his first management job and that at a high profile club.

Oh, Yes, it's a good move for him, but I think it's a poor appointment for Wales. They've still got a golden generation there, and a better appointment would allow them to push it as far as possible. Giggs, IMO, will not take them anywhere.

I don't see it as such a great appointment for Giggs.  At a club he would be constructing a squad from transfer dealings etc while that wont be happening here.  The pool to draw from is what it is.

Plus at a club there would be endless opportunities in the course of a just a single season to prove he can tinker and adapt teams and strategies for different challenges. And again with Wales there will be a very limited number games to prove his competence in that respect.

It suggests that Giggs who certainly doesn't need money has not been offered much else and just took this to have some sort of presence in the game.  No presence would be hard to take after spending the bulk of his life in it.