Russell Martin Joins Gers

I'm actually pleased with this signing. He's a wee bit old, and he's not the best CB -- as his Scotland performances will attest -- but I think he'll be a solid option for us over the next couple of years; he's experienced and will give us that physical presence at the back. Murty also suggests Martin has leadership qualities, which we have been crying out for.

A Martin-Alves pairing at the back should be solid in the air! But slow as stop! 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

I'm actually pleased with this signing. He's a wee bit old, and he's not the best CB -- as his Scotland performances will attest -- but I think he'll be a solid option for us over the next couple of years; he's experienced and will give us that physical presence at the back. Murty also suggests Martin has leadership qualities, which we have been crying out for.

A Martin-Alves pairing at the back should be solid in the air! But slow as stop! 

I thought this would free up Alves to move on.

12 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

I thought this would free up Alves to move on.

Possibly. There was an article about him not going anywhere, but I don't know about the veracity of it, though.

I'd like to keep Alves; I thing he's been a solid player for us.

9 hours ago, magic hat said:

Maybe something like clint hill he has bag loads of experience and was a captain for years at Norwich they called him the Norfolk Cafu! 

How does that work? He's not a Full-back.

Anyway, we already have the Blue Cafu. :D 

Martin played as many games as right-back as he played as centre-half.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/russell-martin/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/67303

Quite a few in the EPL as well. Given that we have John as sub/deputy/replacement for Wallace, it seem like Hodson is on his way out. Likewise, one never knows how this window ends and someone hares after Tav on January 29th with a 5m offer ...

I didn't know he had played RB. However, that data shows he's not been deployed there too often over the last few seasons, suggesting it was mostly in his younger days, when he had more energy.

Although, he could be a good defensive option at RB for us.