Strange how they went from last season to this.  It's a funny old game, right enough.

I read a book called Fear and Loathing in La Liga (Sid Owen) about the Classico and it's relationship to wider Spanish society, particularly the Civil War.  I'd recommend it.  I didn't like Barcelona or Real Madrid anyway but that book validated my feelings towards both clubs.

Edited by Gonzo79

14 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Strange how they went from last season to this.  It's a funny old game, right enough.

I read a book called Fear and Loathing in La Liga (Sid Owen) about the Classico and it's relationship to wider Spanish society, particularly the Civil War.  I'd recommend it.  I didn't like Barcelona or Real Madrid anyway but that book validated my feelings towards both clubs.

Too  much 'RonaldoDependency' and emphasis on the 'BBC' that for various reasons went missing.

When Messi starts winding down, it'll be difficult for Barca to avoid similar.

1 minute ago, craig said:

He was a kid when he went through HGH and it wasn't to obtain any sporting advantage, it was medically prescribed.  Your distaste of all things Barcelona serves you no credit when you disparage treatments that were medically prescribed.

Your worship of all matters Barcelonan blinds you. Things are not always as you want them to be.

I incline to the sceptical; you to the credulous. 

Many "sports' clinicians" will  certify Therapeutic Use Exemptions; many will prescribe  performance enhancing potions; many will prescribe masking cocktails. 

Lots of people admired Lance Armstrong, and argued that he was too good a cyclist to take performance enhancers. They were conned. Modern day heroes often have feet of clay. 

Messi, received treatments in youth which involved performance enhancing substances. I don't know for how long, but does it make a mockery of clubs in this country telling children that they are too small  to make it? If you're good enough, we'll make you big enough....oh. and if you're small enough......

(Maradona, likewise, received treatment when young to boost height, and physique, a f a I k.)

Football is a game played between two teams of 11, and, at the end, the one with the cleverest pharmacist wins. Discuss. 

1 minute ago, Uilleam said:

Football is a game played between two teams of 11, and, at the end, the one with the cleverest pharmacist wins. Discuss. 

Hibs would win the league every year if that were the case.

Or did you just mean qualified, professional pharmacists who prescribe authorised medication?

29 minutes ago, craig said:

Messi has scored an identical goal to that one, but gets virtually no credit for it.  Different eras and it is an argument that could go on forever without any real conclusion.

I thought Maradona was a fantastic player - but I think Messi is better.

He has not yet done it twice, and in the World Cup.  (V England, and  v Belgium, since you ask.)

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

Hibs would win the league every year if that were the case.

Or did you just mean qualified, professional pharmacists who prescribe authorised medication?

It is just that we seem to assume that, unlike athletics, cycling, tennis, fitba' is immune from performance enhancing drug taking. I don't quite know why. With the money in the game now......would anyone really be surprised?

Why did a Spanish judge order the destruction of over 100 blood samples from as yet anonymous athletes in various sports? 

The best footballers are good because of the way their brains work.  Only coaching can really enhance that.  

I think football is too 'athletic' these days.  I preferred it when there were still fat midfielders and people playing totally out of position..

Here is an 'interesting' stat :ph34r:

We all know Barca are way in front of Real Madrid in this seasons league (14 pts in front with a game in hand).

Did you know that if you take the HT scores as results in La Liga Real Madrid would be 12 pts ahead of Barca ?,.... (RM having played a game more)

I thought the Spanish league was done, maybe it is.....but tomorrow, an on-form Atletico Madrid visit Barcelona and if they were to win, would reduce the barca advantage to only 2 points.

15/4 for an Atletico win