Pubs in Edinburgh were jam-packed with Barcelona 'fans' for the CL game the other night.  Eugh.

Great to see Espanyol give them a tough game a few days ago.  Especially with the home fans waving so many Spanish flags.  

3 hours ago, Volbeater said:

Just watching this wee genius weave his magic against Girona. I’m glad I was born in an era to see him do his stuff. Absolute pleasure. 

Have you ever been to a game and watched him play live ?

I’ve had the pleasure on 3 occasions and he is undoubtedly a magician.  Finest player of his era.

10 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Pubs in Edinburgh were jam-packed with Barcelona 'fans' for the CL game the other night.  Eugh.

Great to see Espanyol give them a tough game a few days ago.  Especially with the home fans waving so many Spanish flags.  

I can't stand the sanctimonious guff that surrounds Barcelona.  It's a football team. 

Mere mention of the name turns a number of people, even on Rangers ' sites, even in Rangers' pubs and clubs, even, perhaps, at Ibrox, into versions of Chick Young. 

A pub full of "Barcelona fans" in Edinburgh, of whom damned few, if any, would have been Spanish or (I have to say, before some wiseacre corrects me), Catalan, must have given you the dry boak. It would have done so for me. 

For the sake of balance, Messi can play a bit. 

When I pick my lad up from school, the only football items I see are Barcelona rucksacks.  He told me yesterday he likes Barcelona and I told him he'll never get their top or any other merchandise off me - they have quite enough money. 

They often play fantastic football (Coutinho's goal last night was something else) but they're more like McDonalds or Nike than a football club, in my view.  

2 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

When I pick my lad up from school, the only football items I see are Barcelona rucksacks.  He told me yesterday he likes Barcelona and I told him he'll never get their top or any other merchandise off me - they have quite enough money. 

They often play fantastic football (Coutinho's goal last night was something else) but they're more like McDonalds or Nike than a football club, in my view.  

At the top end it's all about pushing and enhancing brand value.

It's not only the teams, some of the main players have a machinary around them that does the same.

I hope Barca win the CL, they have been the best side in an era and deserve to lift their tally to 6 European Cups. Its unreal that prior to their 2006 win against Arsenal they had only lifted it once before (92) for such a Euro giant.

Messi goes into the top 5 of all time, no doubt. Id still like to see how he would do at say a Sevilla or Valencia and have the same impact. Maradona went to Napoli who were like an equivalent of Valencia in SerieA and took them to 2 titles. Plus Maradona won a world cup when it was the pivotal tournament (CL has possibly overtaken WC in some terms), and Maradona was kicked all over the park and played on rougher pitches. But Messi' goal haul is more impressive.

On 25/02/2018 at 09:26, Gribz said:

I hope Barca win the CL, they have been the best side in an era and deserve to lift their tally to 6 European Cups. 

Aye, they need the money, the plaudits, new fans and increased revenue streams badly.