Pre-Season training

Would like to see Gerrard introduce a kinda military style boot camp for the team during the close season.....and I mean REALLY tough going.

Not so much to increase their fitness, but to hopefully bring a sense of TEAM to the squad & removes potential egos etc.

Pushing recruits to their absolute limits is common in the army & promotes a "reliance" on the rest of the group to get through the various exercises/tasks, and if it's one thing we've not seen in a long time from Rangers is a good solid team spirit.

I believe that with the current training methods, it's all about the individual & their levels - are they hitting the levels required.  However, football is not an individual sport.....it's not much good if one or 2 players are far fitter than the rest, as the others will effectively drag the overall performance down.  During the pre-season it should be about pushing EVERYONE to same limit - those that are struggling will get lifted by the ones what are more able.  The overall result being a much tighter team effort & more collective thinking.

Just now, Bill said:

Well said, a great point. Jock Wallace understood.

Should we have a billy boys haka?

I just get the impression that they're too pampered & need a right good kick up the arse.

As for a Haka...that might be taking it a bit far, but some sort of pre-game ritual which tells everyone "It's time for the game faces" probably wouldn't go amiss.

As much as I agree with the sentiment, we're dealing with pampered spice boys nowadays, not Tam Forsyth and Willie Henderson.  

Something does need to change though and an improved team spirit is essential.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

As much as I agree with the sentiment, we're dealing with pampered spice boys nowadays, not Tam Forsyth and Willie Henderson.  

Something does need to change though and an improved team spirit is essential.

They are only pampered because they have been allowed to get that way.

As I said, I get the impression that training seems to focus on the individuals levels & goals....more focus on Team-building & we may just see a marked improvement moving forward.

Something does need to change. I don't think we have a single player who isn't performing below their potential, some of them well below. That suggests a failure of leadership and it won't matter who we sign or how much we spend if we can't address this key issue.

I mean pampered in general.  They are very well paid and they and their agents have a lot more power than they used to.

You try and boot their baws the way Wallace did and see where it gets you (a mass exodus or the sack, probably).

Edited by Gonzo79

Those days are gone for good! no player these days would accept the training tactics the likes of Jock Wallace deployed!. You don't need to be brutal to get the best out of players, just need to be a good man manager. If a player can't give his all for the likes of SG then there is something seriously wrong with them, running them into the ground wouldn't change that!.

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

You try and boot their baws the way Wallace did and see where it gets you (a mass exodus or the sack, probably).

failure to adhere to club training policy would certainly be a disciplinary breach.....

I just think if everything was laid bare & the reasons for doing it, I'd be very surprised if ANY of the players refused - if they did, they are not the calibre of player required at Rangers.