The King of White Hart Lane

Alan Gilzean: Former Tottenham & Dundee striker dies aged 79

• 27 minutes ago
  • From the sectionScottish
Sharethis page
Alan Gilzean made almost 400 appearances for Tottenham Hotspur
Alan Gilzean made almost 400 appearances for Tottenham Hotspur in all competitions

Former Dundee and Tottenham striker Alan Gilzean has died at the age of 79 after a short illness.

The 22-time capped Scotland international had been diagnosed with a brain tumour just a few weeks ago.

Gilzean, known as the 'King of White Hart Lane', moved to Spurs in 1964, scoring 133 goals in a 10-year spell.

He spent seven years at Dundee, winning the 1961-62 league title and helping the club reach the European Cup semi-finals the following season.

During his time at Tottenham, Gilzean won the FA Cup, two League Cups, and was part of the side that won an all-English Uefa Cup final against Wolves in 1973.

A statement from Spurs read: "Everyone at the club is deeply saddened to learn of the passing of our legendary former striker Alan Gilzean.

"Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this extremely difficult time. His first professional club said: "Everyone at Dundee Football Club is devastated to learn that club legend Alan Gilzean passed away this morning after recently being diagnosed with a brain tumour. The thoughts of everyone at the club are with Alan's family and friends at this difficult time."

Gilzean scored 12 international goals in 22 Scotland appearances

The 1-5 game was agony. 

Gilzean was a terrific centre forward in two cracking teams, Dundee at that time actually better than the Hotspurs.

As for the Wolves final, why yes, I remember it well. Wanted Wolves and Derek Dougan to win it.

2 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I had no idea Spurs played Wolves in a UEFA Cup Final.

Incredibly I was  at both games, first ever Uefa cup

Wanderers lost at molineaux and White Hart Lane...Martin Chivers did some damage We got a free bus down to london and back

Wolves had some good players then

8 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

The 1-5 game was agony. 

Gilzean was a terrific centre forward in two cracking teams, Dundee at that time actually better than the Hotspurs.

As for the Wolves final, why yes, I remember it well. Wanted Wolves and Derek Dougan to win it.

the doog replaced Bobby Gold who went to Arsenal

I actually can't remember the line up on those nights......but there was  John Richards, Wagstaffe, Jim McCalliog who were playing for them at the time

Edited by colinstein

I remember an old guy on the ‘bus after the game saying five breakaways. He was a communist from Greenock btw who had studied at Ballioll College Oxford and was working as a University librarian. Not many like that at the fitbaw.

Best memory of Gilzean is him leaping high above fellow Hotspur, Maurice Norman, to head the winning goal, Hampden 1964.