Bristol City Pay Hefty Penalty Following Kent Loan

10 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Does anybody else think that the loan system is to the detriment of football in general?

I think that it makes things too easy for rich clubs.

Would football be more competitive without it?

When used correctly, it allows teams access to a level of player that they wouldn't normally be able to afford.

Think of the number of promising players that we have put out on loan....hopefully they gain regular playing experience & come back ready to play for us...

Just now, Darthter said:

When used correctly, it allows teams access to a level of player that they wouldn't normally be able to afford.

Think of the number of promising players that we have put out on loan....hopefully they gain regular playing experience & come back ready to play for us...

Does it make football more, or less, competitive though?

Perhaps in a system without loans better players would sign for clubs like us instead of being hoarded by richer clubs.

Just now, ranger_syntax said:

Perhaps in a system without loans better players would sign for clubs like us instead of being hoarded by richer clubs.

I would say it makes us more competitive...we have been able to bring in higher quality players, which has helped us into the EL group stages.

Will our loanees make the teams more competitive...I would hope so.

It allows fringe or young players to get games & improve.

Just now, Darthter said:

I would say it makes us more competitive...we have been able to bring in higher quality players, which has helped us into the EL group stages.

Will our loanees make the teams more competitive...I would hope so.

It allows fringe or young players to get games & improve.

That's not what I asked about though.

If loan deals are structured to favour the richer club, I think they are, then will football be more, or less, competive with a loan system.

5 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Much less competitive.

Football finances at the top end are IMO obscene and it completely skews what used to be at least partly, a sport.

Power resides with those 'superclubs' and it ain't changing in a meaningful way anytime soon.

19 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Does anybody else think that the loan system is to the detriment of football in general?

I think that it makes things too easy for rich clubs.

Would football be more competitive without it?

It's completely changing the 'business' model for football. All the big English sides now view their academies as an income stream rather than a place to get players. So few of their young players will become first team regulars there is no argument to having them. However, with vast numbers scooped up very young, from all over the world, then loaned out all they need to do is sell a few of them for a few million each season to make the whole exercise profitable. Chelsea sold Jeremie Boga and Johnathan Panzo (no, I've never heard of them either) for over £5 million this summer. We bought almost an entire new starting 11 for that. Al the big clubs are doing this now, instead of smaller clubs developing players to sell to big ones, big ones are developing players to sell to smaller ones. 

It's not right. 

1 minute ago, buster. said:

Much less competitive.

Football finances at the top end are IMO obscene and it completely skews what used to be at least partly, a sport.

Power resides with those 'superclubs' and it ain't changing in a meaningful way anytime soon.

The first step towards any change would be for football fans to acknowledge the problem that the loan system causes.

1 minute ago, JohnMc said:

It's completely changing the 'business' model for football. All the big English sides now view their academies as an income stream rather than a place to get players. So few of their young players will become first team regulars there is no argument to having them. However, with vast numbers scooped up very young, from all over the world, then loaned out all they need to do is sell a few of them for a few million each season to make the whole exercise profitable. Chelsea sold Jeremie Boga and Johnathan Panzo (no, I've never heard of them either) for over £5 million this summer. We bought almost an entire new starting 11 for that. Al the big clubs are doing this now, instead of smaller clubs developing players to sell to big ones, big ones are developing players to sell to smaller ones. 

It's not right. 

I don't mind who develops players.

I do mind if football is decreasingly competitive.

8 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

The first step towards any change would be for football fans to acknowledge the problem that the loan system causes.

You'd need a lot of football fans to stop spending their money on the game and related companies (sponsers) to help convince PLC's (more than what they are known for, ie. football clubs) that it might be in their interests to even listen.

I think you'd probably need a general socio-economic change as a precursor to have a chance of meaningful change.

Edited by buster.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

You'd need a lot of football fans to stop spending their money on the game and related companies (sponsers) to help convince PLC's (more than football clubs) that it might be in their interests to even listen.

I think you'd probably need a general socio-economic change as a precursor to have a chance of meaningful change.

I completely disagree.

I don't see why 'socio-economic change' is necessary to eliminate the loan system.

Why can't this can be done by the football authorities?