Sasa Papac: This is my club. I will support Rangers to the end of my life

Papac was back in Scotland for Kris Boyd’s testimonial at Rugby Park on Saturday.

The 38-year-old played in a Rangers Euro XI beaten 6-3 by Boyd’s Killie Heroes.

Papac, who was part of the Gers side that reached the 2008 Uefa Cup Final, sees no reason why the current crop can’t continue making their mark in the Europa League.

He said: “It’s great to see Rangers in Europe again. I have watched every game on TV and seeing those matches at Ibrox again is terrific.

“I am so surprised by it because we have not been in Europe over the past few years and the lads have coped with it really well.

“The team has the opportunity to make that next step and the games against Villarreal and Rapid Vienna are very important for them.

“In 2008, we didn’t know that we were going to make it to the final. We just played from game to game and grew with every match.

“We weren’t the favourites in many of the games and just tried to do our best job in every match. We will see how it goes.

“Gerrard is doing great and has made real progress. I am surprised but so happy to see it.

“His background as a successful player can help him. He was a great player and won so many trophies. He can certainly bring Rangers some new power.

“Will Rangers get back to where they were? Of course. Why not? If you look at history, Rangers have had gaps without trophies in the past as well.

“This is one of those times and you must accept this, but I think the future can be special. If Stevie Gerrard stays, I think there will be progress in future.

“And it can be soon. I think that is possible.”

But Papac, three times a title winner under Walter Smith, is not convinced Rangers are quite ready to give Celtic a serious run for their money this term.

He said: “It’s difficult to say as it is too early. The season is long and we will see how this team is playing in February, March or April

“That is a very important time and we will see then if they can compete with Celtic for the title.

“You need a big squad if you want to compete in the league and in Europe, as well as the Scottish Cup. It is not easy to do it.

“Everything is new with Rangers. I think everyone is surprised to see them doing so well, so we will see.”

Papac was a serial winner during his six years in Scotland and is now hoping he can play another vital role in helping out Gerrard.

The former fans’ favourite admits he is only a phone call away if Gerrard wants any scouting advice on the Balkan market he has already sourced to good effect.

Papac said: “If I can help, then I am here. Right now players from Croatia are very interesting for everybody because they did so well in the World Cup.

“You can find some good players there and they are not expensive. This is important. It can be a very interesting country in future.

“Nikola Katic and Borna Barisic came over and, of course, Eros Grezda signed from Osijek

“Scouting and watching players is not my job but in future who knows? I have no job right now and I am waiting.”

Papac retired from football with a groin injury when he left Rangers in 2012, but he remains a fully paid-up member of the supporters’ club.

He added: “I come back two or three times a year. I watch Rangers games every season.

“Last time I was here was back in May when we celebrated ten years since the Uefa Cup Final.
scoring drought

“I still watched the games when we were in the old Third Division.

“This is my club. I will support Rangers to the end of my life.

“Every game on TV, anywhere, I will watch the games when I have the chance.

“I had a great six years here. The best time of my life was here.

“My family also had a great time here and I have great memories that will stay in my heart forever.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-can-follow-2008-heroes-13608863

Always nice to hear about ex players who retain a place for Rangers in their hearts.

Papac was ever dependable and seems to be fondly remembered by us all.  Hopefully he can do us a (scouting) favour at some point.