Paul Gascoigne charged with sexual assault on Durham train

On 22/11/2018 at 12:47, craig said:

Any chance you could bring yourself to saying "alleged victim" ?  Or are you another who has jumped to conclusion ?

She isn't a victim.... yet.  So why use terminology which suggests she is ?

Okay sorry...another I've triggered.  Okay alleged victim or complainant (as I originally said).  Interesting that you don't jump on Bill who has jumped to the conclusion that publicity would have stopped this women making any complaint.

Edited by Briton

2 hours ago, Briton said:

That's interesting...what's your source?

That quote is a bit odd, as it leaves out much of the context. And the question does not need answering either, as it is pretty obvious or can be easily verified by checking older cases drawn out in the media.

BTW, I'd generally refrain from any rash conclusions in such cases. In this day and age, accusations are easily made, not least against members of the public (and quite often with the aim to "extort" money from the accused) and in some cases hard to counter. One grand case over here inlcuded a well-known and liked weather announcer of one of our big TV channels, whose ex-wife accused him of raped and violance. He's instantly made an outcast despite pleading his innocence and it took him years till a law court actually found in his favour, when his  wife finally declared the accusations have been wrong. His reputation went downhill though, despite many respectable media chaps, lawyers et al clearly stated that it looked a hoax from the off. He's doing his job still now, but far more low key and less prominent.

Again, that's but an example to say that unless "real facts" are there to evaluate, people should refrain from calling out a final judgement or loading a ballista with a few buckets of dirt.

3 hours ago, Briton said:

Okay sorry...another I've triggered.  Okay alleged victim or complainant (as I originally said).  Interesting that you don't jump on Bill who has jumped to the conclusion that publicity would have stopped this women making any complaint.

Thats twice I've seen you use the word 'triggered' wrongly. From my perspective it lacks knowledge of where and what the word is derived from which incidentally is PTSD and other severe mental illness. Instead you've decided to take the very dramatic and hyperbolic Tumblr esque synonym and use the word as a replacement for 'Anger' and 'Annoyance' of which neither of the above posters you site above appear to be in the slightest. Incidentally Tumblr, and other platforms, is a place where people pretend to suffer from PTSD and other mental disorders and then claim to be 'triggered' by things such as free speech, responsibilities, criticism, and reality. In essence its used as a deflection and avoidance technique by people who wish to go unchallenged and maintain control in much the same fashion as your thinly veiled posts have.

As far as Bills comment is concerned its quite clear what he's saying no clarity is required. Personally I don't agree with his position but it does not mean that there is no sustenance or veracity in his point that anonymity reduces the risk of consequences.

Craigs point on the other hand is absolutely correct. The correct terminology is 'alleged' and why you see fit to again play with semantics in this case is amateur from this observers position.

Don't accuse posters of semantics when you yourself are indulging in the same.

Edited by Big Jaws

8 hours ago, Briton said:

He hardly accused her of lying.  You, on the other hand, have clearly decided Gascoigne is guilty.  Very big difference between the two.