Mark Allen: Alfredo Morelos needs Protection from referees

MARKED MAN

Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos needs PROTECTION from referees, says Mark Allen

Morelos has found himself under the spotlight for a number of incidents following last month's Old Firm match

MARK ALLEN has demanded more protection for Alfredo Morelos from referees.

Rangers’ director of football Allen insists the 20-goal Colombian has had a ‘rough ride’ this season.

Allen, who reiterated Morelos, 22, will not be sold in this transfer window, says it’s time to let his talent flourish.

He said: “We need to look after Morelos better. He’s a very talented young man, he is living thousands of miles away from home and is still only 22.

“People are very quick to jump on the back of ‘Morelos did this’ or ‘Morelos did that’.

“I watch every Rangers game and sometimes Alfredo just needs a little bit more protection, because people tend to see the things they want to see in terms of, 'This is what Morelos has supposedly done’.

“They don’t actually see what has been done to Morelos and I think we have to be very mindful of that with Alfredo, because he is a very talented boy.

“For the record, I am not referring to the last Old Firm game.

“What I am saying is that throughout the course of this season, and what I saw of last season, everyone is quick to jump on the bandwagon.

“But they don’t look at what happens to Alfredo on the pitch and if he is getting protected.

“Is he getting the right protection from officials in every game?

“That is the point I am making, and we need to be mindful of that.

“We rate Morelos very highly, but sometimes he gets bad publicity through no fault of his own and people jump on that bandwagon.”

Morelos, who has been sent off THREE times this season, escaped SFA charges after incidents involving Scott Brown, Ryan Christie and Anthony Ralston in the 1-0 win over Celtic at Ibrox last month.

But Allen was quick to quash the notion that the criticism he receives could drive Morelos out of Scottish football.

Allen added: “I certainly don’t detect that it’s getting to Morelos. He is very resolute.

“You have seen him, he goes down and gets back up again.

“The point I am trying to make is we need to give him a bit of a fairer ride in terms of actually looking at some of the other stuff around that and not just what Morelos has allegedly done.

“His journey to Rangers tells you the type of person he is.

“Morelos is robust, he is resolute, and relentless in terms of his pursuit to try and play football at the highest level.

“We have no issue with Alfredo Morelos. He trains well, he is popular with his team-mates, popular with everyone within Rangers, and sometimes I think he gets a bit of a rough ride.”

Rangers knocked back massive bids from China and France for fans’ favourite Morelos last year.

Yet Allen insists no offers have so far been tabled during this transfer window.

He revealed: “I have not had one concrete bid for Alfredo. We have made it clear, myself and the manager, that he is not going anywhere.

“Long-term, who knows? That is the same for every player. Neymar was sold for however much money, so ultimately every player can be sold.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3731652/rangers-mark-allen-alfredo-morelos-protection-referees/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1547160398

4 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

Why is allen speaking to the sun. 

Even in this article they are being unfair to morelos. 

Still holding a recinded red card against him. 

Morelos hasnt had more than a yellow in his entire time with us. 

Aside from the red he got in Europe this season I assume ? :ninja:

6 minutes ago, craig said:

Still a red at the end of the day, regardless of semantics.

Yes, once you receive a first yellow card, you know that another will mean a red.

Hence the second yellow card should be interpreted similar to a red, rather than simply a yellow card.

Just now, the gunslinger said:

Perhaps then if i clarify hes commited no offence that warrents more than a yellow. 

Tbh in europe im not sure he deserved either yellow. 

He certainly deserved the second v aberdeen. 

First yellow is a standard caution for kicking the ball away, no comeback whatsoever.

Second is gross stupidity (given circumstances). I remember in the moment, his gesture and walking way from referee when the official wanted to speak to him...I was cursing and guessed what was coming....the camera suddenly cut but you could hear the roar and it was no surprise.

The positive is that he is definitely trying hard to avoid the rash bouts of stupidity. 

48 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

Perhaps then if i clarify hes commited no offence that warrents more than a yellow. 

Tbh in europe im not sure he deserved either yellow. 

He certainly deserved the second v aberdeen. 

Re your first sentence - fair enough, amazing how a slight change in wording changes context completely.

I think he deserved both yellows in Europe.

41 minutes ago, buster. said:

First yellow is a standard caution for kicking the ball away, no comeback whatsoever.

Second is gross stupidity (given circumstances). I remember in the moment, his gesture and walking way from referee when the official wanted to speak to him...I was cursing and guessed what was coming....the camera suddenly cut but you could hear the roar and it was no surprise.

The positive is that he is definitely trying hard to avoid the rash bouts of stupidity. 

You can clearly tell that someone has been in his ear.  Every time he is fouled no he remains on the ground, instead of immediately jumping to his feet to remonstrate or challenge the offending defender.  Candeais has notably also been helpful to him because when he gets whacked and goes to ground you see Candeias make his way over to him to make sure he is calm (almost as if he has the ability to turn hulk-like at any given moment :roflmao: )

And, to be fair to Morelos, he is definitely getting much better at channeling his aggression and he is definitely getting smarter at how to handle it in challenges.  He plays on the edge, but there is little wrong with that !