Gazza has stomach surgery

By Tom Adams - Created on 28 May 2007

Paul Gascoigne's agent has confirmed that the former England hero has undergone emergency surgery for a perforated stomach ulcer.

The player who captured the country's imagination in the 1990 World Cup was reportedly taken ill whilst celebrating his 40th birthday in Gateshead.

Gascoigne was taken to Newcastle General Hospital before being transferred to the Royal Victoria Infirmary for surgery.

The former Tottenham and Rangers star's agent Jane Morgan has confirmed he is recuperating well after suffering from severe stomach pains.

"He underwent emergency surgery for a perforated stomach ulcer and will remain in hospital for a few days," read the statement.

"He's recovering well from the surgery."

Get well soon mate!!

Guest stuarty66

very worrying for gazza.this type of ulcer is almost always alcohol related.seen gazz on tv a few weeks ago,and he looked awful.hopefully he'll get help soon before its too late:(

hopefully he'll get help soon before its too late:(

Unfortunately I fear a bit for Gazza, I dont think he can be helped due to his depression. He has been in how many clinics for treatment. He was just born to play football and outside the game he cant do anything.

Shame as id love to see him get back to a bit of health and get some weight on himself again as he could teach at any club in the country. He isnt manager material but he could certainly be a coach somewhere.

Id like to see Gazza as some kind of tv personality, maybe not commentator as you wouldnt understand what he's saying half the time, lol.

I think the coaching side of things is a bit much for him to be involved in right now, i.e. his team loses, he gets sacked and goes off the rails yet again.

Like Gribz says, it looks like it's too late for him, and its such a shame to read/watch it happen.