Rangers withdraw from Reserve League

RANGERS Football Club can confirm the Development squad has withdrawn from the SPFL Reserve League for season 2019/20.

Following an evaluation of last season’s Reserve League the decision has been taken to instead embark on a games programme which will test young players against teams from across Europe.

More here:

https://rangers.co.uk/news/academy-news/spfl-reserve-league-update/

This seems to have been greeted with a collective shrug yet I can't help but feel this is a significant decision. Is it the right one though? If the goal is playing against 'men' as is stated in the article then surely sending players out on loan is the answer? If it's playing against better 'reserve' sides than the SPFL currently have then fair enough. I guess my only concern is the SPFL reserve league will have an element of competition to it and an element of rivalry. The matches against assorted English and European sides will be friendlies. It'll be interesting to see if players can push on this season and this change does bear fruit. 

Its not without risk, but as was pointed out, the challenge in pitting ourselves against teams with different styles, tactics, etc, seems to have been weighed up and the team seem confident that its the right way to go.  Pitting younger players into higher age groups in order to test them early and often, seems to be the strategy.   Where that strategy falls down in Scotland seems to be at U-20 level when the better players such as Middleton outgrow the development squad but aren't quite able to tie down a first team starting position, but need games to develop.   I imagine we will see a number of the older reserves go on development loans as that means we can pull them back to play in the various European friendlies.