Greatest Game Podcast: Carragher speaks to Gerrard

• Rousseau changed the title to Greatest Game Podcast: Carragher speaks to Gerrard

Yeah, I quite enjoyed it. 

I was somewhat -- concerned is the wrong word -- struck, when he suggested he doesn't see himself being a manager for the next 30 years. It seems like it's a ladder for him; whereby the Manager's job at Liverpool is the endgame. It's like everything is geared towards that goal; not necessarily to 'be' a manager, like these managers that go from job to job. (I can't quite describe it.) 

He's obviously very driven, and that endgame suits us anyway; if he gets there, it means he's been a success with us.

I saw him on Gary Neville's Soccerbox (?). I was really impressed with his desire to learn; I lost count of the number of times he questions why things were done in-game by his managers in the past, and in games he watches now. In the above podcast he mentions asking Klopp why he does certain things. 

He's an impressive man. 

16 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I saw him on Gary Neville's Soccerbox (?). I was really impressed with his desire to learn; I lost count of the number of times he questions why things were done in-game by his managers in the past, and in games he watches now. In the above podcast he mentions asking Klopp why he does certain things. 

It is a sign of humility to be so interested in why other managers are doing things and trying to learn from them. It's a very good sign and bodes well for him.

19 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Yeah, I quite enjoyed it. 

I was somewhat -- concerned is the wrong word -- struck, when he suggested he doesn't see himself being a manager for the next 30 years. It seems like it's a ladder for him; whereby the Manager's job at Liverpool is the endgame. It's like everything is geared towards that goal; not necessarily to 'be' a manager, like these managers that go from job to job. (I can't quite describe it.) 

He's obviously very driven, and that endgame suits us anyway; if he gets there, it means he's been a success with us.

He's an impressive man. 

To be fair, he is 39 years old and a very wealthy man who doesn't need the work - in 30 years time he will be 69 - wouldn't you rather be retired and enjoying life at that point ?  I know I would and I don't even have the money to be able to..... but with his wealth I reckon I would already have just retired :D

1 hour ago, craig said:

To be fair, he is 39 years old and a very wealthy man who doesn't need the work - in 30 years time he will be 69 - wouldn't you rather be retired and enjoying life at that point ?  I know I would and I don't even have the money to be able to..... but with his wealth I reckon I would already have just retired :D

Pretty much the way I see it. The fact he's doing this at all when more money is pretty meaningless to him indicates super driven to succeed. I envisage him doing it for maybe another 20 years or so before settling down to kick a ball around with grand kids.

Also getting many in a frenzy regarding his comment about 'saving Scottish football'

What he's obviously referring to is the lack of money in the Scottish game which presumably they're all content with given the sniping about that throwaway comment. The latest reason to obsess over Rangers.   This is just an example from the MSM, the social media crowd are apoplectic about it.

Scottish football does not need to be "saved" by the English game by allowing teams to compete south of the border, says Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes.

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard has claimed "filtering" the Scottish league, including Celtic and Rangers playing in the Premier League, would be "unbelievable".

However, it is a view McInnes disagrees with. "I think the product is good," he told BBC Scotland.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51064050

Yeah, great product. That game against Kilmarnock which was pretty typical was entertainment at it's best. No doubt people would tune in from across the globe to watch the McInnes cluggers too.

27 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Also getting many in a frenzy regarding his comment about 'saving Scottish football'

What he's obviously referring to is the lack of money in the Scottish game which presumably they're all content with given the sniping about that throwaway comment. The latest reason to obsess over Rangers.   This is just an example from the MSM, the social media crowd are apoplectic about it.

Yeah, great product. That game against Kilmarnock which was pretty typical was entertainment at it's best. No doubt people would tune in from across the globe to watch the McInnes cluggers too.

Thankfully we dodged that McInnes bullet - how lucky we were !!!