FA Cup on the Telly Yesterday

Not this year’s competition but  vintage quarter final ties.

Terrific entertainment. West Brom v Forest, Leicester v Wycombe, Arsenal v Watford. Slower than modern football and less athleticism but nowhere near as tedious. Wycombe didn’t string eight along the back but stiill won 2-1.

Willie Johnston cutting through the Forest defence with ease. Clattered twice by Martin O’Neil so Willie gets up and cements Archie Gemmill. Couldn’t follow the logic there.

Other legend*  celtic managers featured across the ties. What a winger John Barnes was. Should have left it at that.

* Legends for Rangers fans. Brady was another.

I was watching an old match the other day Derby  v Leeds real tackles going in even a punch up between big Norman Hunter and Francis Lee wee Franny used to have a toilet roll business he would be rolling in it today .

I love it when BT Sport shows old English matches.  I watched a few from the late 70s the other day and thoroughly enjoyed the robust nature of it all.

For some reason, Jeff Astle stood out but that's probably because I used to watch Baddiel and Skinner's programme.

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

Not this year’s competition but  vintage quarter final ties.

Terrific entertainment. West Brom v Forest, Leicester v Wycombe, Arsenal v Watford. Slower than modern football and less athleticism but nowhere near as tedious. Wycombe didn’t string eight along the back but stiill won 2-1.

Willie Johnston cutting through the Forest defence with ease. Clattered twice by Martin O’Neil so Willie gets up and cements Archie Gemmill. Couldn’t follow the logic there.

Other legend*  celtic managers featured across the ties. What a winger John Barnes was. Should have left it at that.

* Legends for Rangers fans. Brady was another.

I thought it was brilliant seeing all those old games and the great players. No electronic advertising around the pitched promoting Vietnamese dogfood or Arabian airlines. And pitches like ploughed fields. ? I hope we're going to get more of these games.

19 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Big crowds standing safely on high terraces.

And best of all, no standing around for three minutes while bloody VAR reaches the wrong decision.

28 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

No tourists, no half and half scarves and no twits filming someone taking a bloody throw-in on their mobile phone.

Half and half scarves - could there be a more ingratiatingly smarmy symbol of football's re-invention?

On 22/03/2020 at 11:19, Gonzo79 said:

I love it when BT Sport shows old English matches.  I watched a few from the late 70s the other day and thoroughly enjoyed the robust nature of it all.

For some reason, Jeff Astle stood out but that's probably because I used to watch Baddiel and Skinner's programme.

You don't seem to see the headers nowadays either. I remember Alan Gilzean who never powered a header, just glanced them in. Astle was one of the best as were Ron and Wyn Davies. There was one match in which Scotland beat Wales 5-3 and I think 6 of the goals came from text book headers.

15 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

You don't seem to see the headers nowadays either. I remember Alan Gilzean who never powered a header, just glanced them in. Astle was one of the best as were Ron and Wyn Davies. There was one match in which Scotland beat Wales 5-3 and I think 6 of the goals came from text book headers.

I remember Dundee and Gilzean destroyed us one day at Ibrox five one the beat us