Trust Delegation Meets with Sir David Murray

I'm on the side that says our downfall RECENTLY has been signing too many mediocre foreigners who just come for an easy time and good money.

However we have signed too many mediocre SPL players in the past, and we suffered the most for that under John Grieg and Jock Wallace.

The likes of Clelland and Bolan also contributed to us being pants in Europe under Smith after he lost the idea that you sign the BEST Scots around which actually almost brought us the CL.

My opinion is that our strategy should be to buy the best SPL talent and augment that squad with foreigners who are better than anyone in the SPL for their position. IE we shouldn't be bringing in foreigners unless they are better than we can get at home - unless of course they are as good as the best but cheaper.

I'm not sure or not if Gow and Broadfoot are "the best" but Gow did come second top in the league for assists which doesn't make him mediocre. But these two came for free and it's hard to turn down good quality but very cheap squad fillers.

It's akin to buying more than you need in a really good sale where things are so cheap you feel you just can't go wrong.

In the end I think we need to judge players on their performances, not their nationality, we've had too many failures of both types to say one is better than the other. These days we need value for money and players who can hit the ground running, where we get them from is difficult to decide in advance.

With the EPL getting an average income from television which is around the same as our entire turnover we can no longer just go out and buy quality, especially with the other big 5 countries in Europe also not far behind the English. Then there is the likes of Russia, Netherlands and Portugal all richer than us.

We'll just have to see what Darcheville, McCulloch, Beasley and Cueller can do to enhance the first team and if the likes of Gow, Broadfoot, Carroll etc can come in and do a job when needed.