[FT] Standard Liege 0 - 2 Rangers (Tavernier 19 pen; Roofe 90+3)

Standard Liège coach Philippe Montanier has labelled Glasgow Rangers ’one of the best teams in Europe’ ahead of their meeting in the Europa League on Thursday.

Rangers kick off their European campaign on Thursday with a trip to take on the Belgian side in Group D.

Steven Gerrard’s side are heading into the game in good form, having started their league campaign with nine wins from 11 games, conceding just three goals thus far.

Their excellent start continued over the weekend with an 2-0 win over Rivals Celtic in the Old Firm Derby, thanks to a brace from Connor Goldson, a result that put them four points clear at the top of the Scottish Premiership.

It means Rangers will head into their clash with Liège full of confidence, and Gerrard’s opposite number Montanier was full of praise ahead of the match.

“We have a strong group, we have to win at home,” Walfoot report him saying.

“But in terms of statistics, we will play against one of the best teams in Europe.

“They have planted 37 goals, conceded four goals and made 11 clean sheets in all competitions up to now.

“They are not developing a traditional Scottish game, and Steven Gerrard does a very good job.

“A two-way team, they defend and attack together. Our opponent is fast, technical and moving forward. We will have to be wary of that.”

Like Rangers, Liège have had a good start to the season themselves, with five wins from their first nine games.

Their weekend was not as joyous as the Gers’, although a 1-1 draw with league leaders Club Brugge was widely considered a good result given they are in the Champions League.

And Montanier is hoping they will once again be able to raise their performance when Rangers come to town.

“Brugge had a big performance in the Champions League,” he added.

“And we stood up to them on Saturday night. We are able to raise our level against big opponents.

“This will be the case against Rangers; we are wary but confident about our last performance.”

http://sportwitness.co.uk/glasgow-rangers-standard-liege-europa-league-steven-gerrard/

• Frankie changed the title to Standard Liege's v Rangers
  • Frankie changed the title to Standard Liege v Rangers (KO 5.55pm)

For starters, it's great to be in the group stages for the third year running.  Given the amount of qualifiers we've had to play, some against decent opponents, it is a terrific achievement. 

Standard Liege seem to be another good opponent, who have also had some very respectable European results in recent history.  

I'm looking forward to the match - our defence will need to be on form and our attackers will need to be clinical.  I'd stick with Kamara, Davis and Arfield in midfield and start with Aribo, Morelos and Kent up front.

Edited by Gonzo79

I think the manager will look to maintain momentum created from Saturday's win but I'd be surprised if there weren't at least two changes to the side.  IMO, Davis will be rested and Hagi or Jones may come in for Barker depending on what system Gerrard wants to deploy tonight.

I'd hope for a better start than we made away in Holland as we were lucky a few times in that game. If we can keep it tight, look after the ball when we have it and play our usual game on the counter then we should get another good result.

rfc_liege.jpg

44 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think what we need to do, to give ourselves a chance, is start with Barker, then draw lots for the other positions. 

I watched the game back the other day and he did a lot better than some fans suggested as live.  He wasn't as good as a few others but he was acceptable.

There's no doubt he's still short of some confidence and sharpness but there is a player there if Gerrard can tease it out.  Problem is, with Aribo and Roofe now back available then Barker, Jones and Stewart fall back down the pecking order.

Barker is perhaps the closest player we have to Kent in style so it is important we find him game-time to help us to rotate Kent out now and again.