FTQ: Rangers, Independence and the Culture Wars

27 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Because they can say what they like. I’m adult enough to hear words and not burst out crying.

That's half the problem right there - this attitude is aligned with masculinity.  It's old fashioned, it's British stiff upper lip and is viewed as problematic.

Victimhood is promoted and celebrated nowadays and social media, the press, advertisers and governments all go along with it.

Baffling.

I'm drawn to Douglas Murray's description of Chihuahua People - little people of low ability whose incessant yapping lends them status and attention they could otherwise never achieve. These are the nationalists and the identity gymnasts, the career politicians. Horrible, conceited and ultimately worthless people whose commitment to the charade is their only distinguishing feature. Chihuahua People.

10 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

That's half the problem right there - this attitude is aligned with masculinity.  It's old fashioned, it's British stiff upper lip and is viewed as problematic.

Victimhood is promoted and celebrated nowadays and social media, the press, advertisers and governments all go along with it.

Baffling.

Victims are cultivated because victims need protection. The State as mother and father provides that protection. The climate of fear drives the victim into its arms. 

2 hours ago, Charloch said:

Thanks for the helpful analysis. How is Protestantism to be defined? It seems to me a nebulous concept today. I am Reformed and Presbyterian. No victims here. Apart from Christ Himself, that is. 

That’s probably the only definition to which I’d agree if I believed in it but I think the larger point is the idea of an individualised relationship with God - sola fide, sola scriptura etc - created individuals when it evolved/devolved (according to your tastes) into secularism it took the idea of individuals and individual rights and obligations with it (versus other collectivised derivatons of religion like state from Church). It’s why Celtic supporters who aren’t all Catholics are more prone to group think and the need to be loved as a group. I have no concern whatever another Rangers fan does, it doesn’t reflect on me. That’s how I take it. 

Edited by bmck

3 hours ago, Charloch said:

Thanks for the helpful analysis. How is Protestantism to be defined? It seems to me a nebulous concept today. I am Reformed and Presbyterian. No victims here. Apart from Christ Himself, that is. 

Tough sell though. Double predestsination. Vehicles fit for destruction. No free-willl, not even choice to be Reformed. Irony, is that it's most horrible doctrines is what produces the best effects in people. They realise there's nothing they did - no personal act, not even a step forward - for which they can be credited. Always thought it was a bit of a paradox. Ideas like vicarious sacrifice - like God needs blood to look at us from his infinite holiness - are just ugly. They produce wonderful humans, though.

On 11/06/2021 at 09:56, Gonzo79 said:

Baffling.

Yup, ultimately continental philosophy won, reason of experient, theory over experiment, and what we have is the carcass of a civilisation in the final stages of decomposing.