The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Thread - Aaron Ramsey loan deal confirmed

17 minutes ago, Graham said:

I would sell him at that price. If we keep him and his form dips we won't get that fee in the summer. Clubs haven't exactly been queueing up to pay that kind of money for him. Porto and Lille were offering about half what's quoted here.

Lille offered 16 million IIRC (verified by their sporting director during an interview with talksport). Porto is not a step up for him and they dont want to pay us what we want so id forget about them.

If he keeps his current form up and signs a new deal he could be worth much more. Alfredo plays a hell of a lot of games, rarely injured. Form dips up and down but whos form doesnt. He will be very difficult to replace but id rather we were doing it in the summer with the CL money pot to look forward to.

@Rousseau - Itten deserves another chance I agree. I believe he did not settle in Scotland and would prefer to move away for off field reasons.  

Rangers linked with James Sands not going away. USA International, 21 y/o MLS NYC. Plays DM/DC.

Rangers poised to sign midfielder James Sands from New York City as Scottish champions continue busy start to transfer window after selling Nathan Patterson to Everton

• Rangers are hoping to sign midfielder James Sands from New York City
  • The Scottish champions have had a busy start to the January transfer window
  • They have negotiated Nathan Patterson's £10million sale to Everton
  • Sands has played 60 times for the MLS side and has seven caps for the USA

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10366135/Rangers-poised-sign-midfielder-James-Sands-New-York-City-selling-Nathan-Patterson.html

Looking at an 18(?) month loan deal. Sure there will be a future fee. But it has been rumoured at 6 million which for us is quite an outlay. 

39 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I'd sell Morelos and recall Itten. 

I think Itten would be a adequate; not great, but adequate. 

I would expect Wilson to have a few Strikers on a shortlist too.  

20m for Morelos would be tremendous. We`d recall Itten, promote Tony Weston as the new Derek Johnstone and give Jermaine Defoe game time. After all, if Dortmund sell Haaland this window, we should even their chances.

Back in the real world ... 20m for Morelos would still be tremendous and I assume Wilson and Co. have contingency plans for every player and position.

27 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Rangers linked with James Sands not going away. USA International, 21 y/o MLS NYC. Plays DM/DC.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10366135/Rangers-poised-sign-midfielder-James-Sands-New-York-City-selling-Nathan-Patterson.html

Looking at an 18(?) month loan deal. Sure there will be a future fee. But it has been rumoured at 6 million which for us is quite an outlay. 

Well, loan-fees will be significantly smaller than a straight buy, after all, this chap has a contract till 2026. US-boys are usually technically and physically good and we would see how he developes during the loan. A permanent fee after that would likewise be smaller and you would hope we have banked a few million from CL campaigns and player sales by then.

9 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

20m for Morelos would be tremendous. We`d recall Itten, promote Tony Weston as the new Derek Johnstone and give Jermaine Defoe game time. After all, if Dortmund sell Haaland this window, we should even their chances.

Back in the real world ... 20m for Morelos would still be tremendous and I assume Wilson and Co. have contingency plans for every player and position.

How is selling Morelos and recalling Itten an unrealistic scenario?

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

How is selling Morelos and recalling Itten some out-of-this-world scenario?

Promoting Tony Weston was 😉

Nah, as I said, we will have contingency plans for each position and should we really bank 20-30m, those plans will see higher quality arrive.

Personally, I like Itten and would have played him along another striker far more often. SG didn`t, and whether Gio will is anyone`s guess. Sakala`s drive from the left-attacking position is quite tremendous too, I wonder how a frontline of Sakala - Itten - Roofe might work, with Kent, Wright, Aribo and/or Hagi behind them. Every now and then we could really try a 3-4-3 or the like ... to break down the low-block teams.

Very skeptical of the Morelos report. Some interest maybe but £20m is not happening.  January is a sellers market though and the best time to get good money from desperate English clubs. 

19 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Well, loan-fees will be significantly smaller than a straight buy, after all, this chap has a contract till 2026. US-boys are usually technically and physically good and we would see how he developes during the loan. A permanent fee after that would likewise be smaller and you would hope we have banked a few million from CL campaigns and player sales by then.

I agree and its still a good market for us, there are good players available and moving to Germany/Belgium for 1-3 million at the moment. But specifically for the lad Sands if we are to pay a loan fee and a future fee that gets in the 6 million ball park. This boy has got to be one of our best players. 

Edit - loan to buy is a great idea for us, worked well with Kent, Hagi and Davis (1st time round). So like that approach.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats