Champions League Draw | Ajax, Liverpool, Napoli, RANGERS

22 hours ago, buster. said:

Looking at last season, Ajax won all six of their group games !!!

If my arithmetic is correct, 

we have won 12 in total. Or 1 from every 5 games played in CL group stages, (10).

The 12 are....

8 home wins

Brugge, Grasshoppers, PSV, Sturm Graz, Porto, Stuttgart (x2), Bursapor.

4 away wins

CSKA Moscow*, Monaco, PSV, Lyon.

*Neutral venue

Takeaway from that is it shows how difficult it is to beat the top side in a CL group. Only Monaco (from win list) being arguably considered the best side in the group. ie. Don't put your mortgage on us to beat Liverpool.

Gio as a manager with Feyenoord won 1 from 6 group games. At home in the last fixture against Napoli.

Im a Stat man

Ski ba bop

4 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

yeah the set up of the games is very poor for us. could be worse but you want the weakest team back to back in the middle and a dad rubber at the end. 

At least our last game which could be vital is at home. 

I think the set up is good for us.

First game Ajax who have lost their two best players and wont have time to replace and integrate Antony's replacement

Last tie at home - if needing a result the best place to have to do so is Ibrox

6 minutes ago, craig said:

I think the set up is good for us.

First game Ajax who have lost their two best players and wont have time to replace and integrate Antony's replacement

Last tie at home - if needing a result the best place to have to do so is Ibrox

Antony hasn't played in the last couple of their games. So they have already had to replace him from what they already have.

Berghuis

An experienced player with real ability. He looked decent for Feyenoord in the two matches (2019).

29 minutes ago, buster. said:

Antony hasn't played in the last couple of their games. So they have already had to replace him from what they already have.

Berghuis

An experienced player with real ability. He looked decent for Feyenoord in the two matches (2019).

Point being, if they receive 90 million Euros they WILL be spending some of it.  Whoever they spend it on would be expected to be a starter - but won't have the time to be up to speed before they play us next week.

They also lost 5-3 to PSV recently - nothing to fear, even less so when their best player has just left.

13 minutes ago, craig said:

Point being, if they receive 90 million Euros they WILL be spending some of it.  Whoever they spend it on would be expected to be a starter - but won't have the time to be up to speed before they play us next week.

They also lost 5-3 to PSV recently - nothing to fear, even less so when their best player has just left.

Yes, but in Berghuis they have a more than adequate replacement fully integrated and ready to go.

He played and scored a couple in their CL group campaign last season. They won all six games.

Nothing to fear but a lot to respect.

16 minutes ago, buster. said:

Yes, but in Berghuis they have a more than adequate replacement fully integrated and ready to go.

He played and scored a couple in their CL group campaign last season. They won all six games.

Nothing to fear but a lot to respect.

Berghuis isnt as good as Antony, so even though he is adequate, he isnt Antony.  The point, again, is that Antony leaves them weaker - and they dont have the time to integrate any replacements before we play them - which means they are at their weakest.  I am not saying they won't be tough, I am saying that the first game is the best game to get them.

Always respect your opponents, other than the Tims.

2 minutes ago, craig said:

Berghuis isnt as good as Antony, so even though he is adequate, he isnt Antony.  The point, again, is that Antony leaves them weaker - and they dont have the time to integrate any replacements before we play them - which means they are at their weakest.  I am not saying they won't be tough, I am saying that the first game is the best game to get them.

Always respect your opponents, other than the Tims.

We will soon find out how weak they are.

4 minutes ago, buster. said:

We will soon find out how weak they are.

Indeed we will.  But regardless of result, I will still maintain that the best time for us to play them will be this first game.  The only way it could have been better for us would have been if it was at Ibrox.