The Winter 2022/23 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

On 09/01/2023 at 15:32, Scott7 said:

I wonder if Cantwell is related to Noel Cantwell, Uniteds, West Ham and Manchester and ROI.

Noel Cantwell once ordered me off the pitch at the old Highfield Road ground when he was manager. I was miffed because I was taking a break from painting his dressing rooms. Some things are never forgotten!

10 hours ago, PoohBear said:

My mate is a Norwich fan and he said this about Cantwell:

"Great natural talent, not the fastest but can carry the ball well and work his way out of tight spaces with ease, he was an England u21 international 3 years ago but has gone downhill due to a bad attitude and inconsistent application to training, 3 different managers (incl loan to Bournemouth) gave him a chance and ended up removing him from the squad. Has a habit of shooting himself in the foot with social media use too. Apparently his agent is a nightmare tooz feeding his unrealistic ego and trying to get a move for years. Basically he's a championship Dele Ali haha

Shame as he's actually from Norwich so could have been a legend here... But fans are tired of the constant issues, sulking and mini dramas now and most would agree a move away is best for everyone"

Sounds to me like a player with lots of quality who needs some very good man management to get anything out of him. I guess he's on his last chance so who knows if Beale can get a tune out of him, but if he does then it could be a great signing.

Haven't a scooby about the player but if the above is true that three different managers got fed up with him and jettisoned him, then the gambling odds become longer.

I have droned on about bringing in too many players on long odds gambles, whether it be for injury history, attitude or whatever. It's akin to punters doing football accumulators.

It has been the plan to bridge the financial gap.

ie. (ex)quality on the relative cheap, hoping to keep them fit or provide the right motivation.

Personally, I don't think it is the way to go.

Developing mostly hungry, fit and motivated young players has to be the way forward. 

It will be very interesting to see what the squad looks like come the end of the summer transfer window.

Edited by buster.

Just now, Bill said:

I bloody hope it's very different

Hence the interest.

Recruitment this year had better be excellent or we'll be getting nowhere fast.

Can't remember the last decent window we have had.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

Hence the interest.

Recruitment this year had better be excellent or we'll be getting nowhere fast.

Can't remember the last decent window we have had.

We must have had some decent windows prior to winning 55 and getting to Europa League Final. 

1 minute ago, CammyF said:

We must have had some decent windows prior to winning 55 and getting to Europa League Final. 

My memory isn't what it once was.

Gerrard built a squad in his first year or two but since then....some individuals have been good but collectively ?

12 minutes ago, buster. said:

My memory isn't what it once was.

Gerrard built a squad in his first year or two but since then....some individuals have been good but collectively ?

But isn't that always gonna be the case given where we are financially?

Even when we were shopping at "Harrods" we still managed to buy some duds. 

Just now, CammyF said:

But isn't that always gonna be the case given where we are financially?

Even when we were shopping at "Harrods" we still managed to buy some duds. 

The club will have to develop fit and hungry players and add the value.

It might mean a fallow year or so but at least it might go somewhere.

Rather than sign guys with your fingers crossed who might have once been a player or is a player when you can keep him fit. The road to a repetitive nowhere.