Gersnet Player of the Year 2022/23 | Malik Tillman

With 36% of the main end of season forum vote, the young American attacking midfielder – who played in 43 of our 56 games of this season - wins the Gersnet Forum PotY vote for season 2022/23.

In terms of the PotY race that we were running based on match-by-match votes, Todd Cantwell was the defacto winner of that with 9 MotM awards (despite only arriving in January) followed by Malik Tillman and Antonio Colak who both had 5 awards each.

Interestingly, the official Rangers PotY winner (and second most popular choice on the forum PotY vote), James Tavernier only won 3.4% of the total votes cast across the season with 12.9% votes cast for Cantwell, 11.4% votes cast for Tillman and 6.8% of votes cast for John Lundstram in third place.

Tillman was also placed in the top three most often (20 times) followed by Cantwell and Lundstram (both 14 times).  Tav was in the top three 4 times and MotM only twice (against Livi in the first game of the season and at Parkhead in April).  Clearly his contribution in terms of goals, assists and playing the most amount of games (missing just one) swayed many voters when they considered the season as a whole.

In terms of other relevant information, before Gio was sacked (and the World Cup break) Antonio Colak had won 5 MotM awards and was well clear in terms of goals as well. Similarly, the oft-criticised James Sands ended up winning the same number of MotM awards as the recently heralded John Souttar. Interestingly, John Lundstram has been identified as a player that only showed his capability towards the end of the season but his two MotM awards came before November and he was considered out third most reliable player in that period (behind Colak and, erm, James Sands). Lundstram also featured in 52 games, second only to Tavernier.

Finally, Gersnet 2020/21 PotY Connor Goldson didn't receive any MotM awards this season, whilst Ryan Kent and Alfredo Morelos also had their worst years in terms of votes.

Do these figures change your opinion?

PS: I'm happy to supply any requested stats for individual players... ;)

24 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

What was Sakala's breakdown? I'm thinking his votes have come after GvB left?

Fashion Sakala

MotM: 2 (v Celtic and Dundee Utd in January)
Total votes: 6.3% (5th place)
Total podiums: 11 (4th place)

8 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Tillman probably deserves it but it has been a very disheartening season.

Some of the stats from before the World Cup (i.e. under Gio) are eye-opening in terms of how poor we were in that part of the season. For example, Colak, Sands, Lundstram, McGregor and Tillman were our five most voted for players by the end of November.

Now, the big Croatian did fine in that period and I felt he was really starting to click before he got injured but we've just not seen him properly since then.  I remember Sands really standing out in some games (especially in midfield) but defensively he struggled during that CL campaign and never really recovered his reputation with the fans so was sent back to the USA. McGregor we all know has had an awful season so his stats are skewed by a few excellent games whilst Tillman did largely fine across the season but didn't actually win his first MotM until Beale's first game.

Lundstram's stats across the season surprised me the most given I think the majority of us would feel he has been ordinary at best given he's supposedly carried an ankle injury for most - if not all - the campaign. Again, perhaps him showing up fairly well in the stats is indicative of how poor we were generally.

FWIW, the sample size across an already fairly small forum isn't large but I think the data is relevant and interesting as our voters are fairly sensible. ;)