Let’s all go to Saudi

16 minutes ago, Bill said:

What’s the difference?

They have no place on the board unlike Newcastle, and no direct involvement in the club. I'd certainly expect the clubs owners to use the fact that PIF has £bns of assets managed by Clearlake," to their advantage, which isn't against any rules. 

Payments for the players aren't exceptional as Kante was a free agent, Ziyech is £8m, Mendy £15m and Koulibaly £25m so they aren't paying over the odds. 

If Gary Neville and Chris Bryant are against it then I'm glad the club are doing it.

56 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

They have no place on the board unlike Newcastle, and no direct involvement in the club.

Don’t confuse directors with shareholders. Boards are comprised of directors who may or may not be shareholders. Their role as directors is to run the business on behalf of the shareholders. Every shareholder is an owner and every shareholder is an investor but most shareholders will not be directors. Directors are not owners unless they have invested in shares and therefore are also shareholders.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Personally I don't understand the fuss about Saudi Arabia doing what English clubs have been doing for years

The English are complaining about the Saudis coming in and taking all the best players in their prime.... It is extreme hypocrisy - the English did the EXACT same thing when the Sky money came rolling into England.

They are all crying now because all of a sudden there is competition

7 hours ago, craig said:

The English are complaining about the Saudis coming in and taking all the best players in their prime.... It is extreme hypocrisy - the English did the EXACT same thing when the Sky money came rolling into England.

Not sure the players the Saudis are currently taking are in their prime. 
And I’m not sure the Saudi league is a threat to the EPL. (not yet anyway)

22 hours ago, Bill said:

Personally I don't understand the fuss about Saudi Arabia doing what English clubs have been doing for years

Only difference is the vast majority of players are over 30, so its akin to the US, but with more money! 

21 hours ago, craig said:

Not sure they are in their prime. Most are well over 30 and would attract minimal fees between European clubs. Some may be crying, but in joy that someone is paying a fee for unwanted players.

If they were to offer say, £100+m for Rice or £300m for Haarland then Europe would sit up. 

14 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Not sure the players the Saudis are currently taking are in their prime. 
And I’m not sure the Saudi league is a threat to the EPL. (not yet anyway)

I am not saying they are - Jamie Carragher was the one complaining about them coming in and taking players, and how he wasnt bothered when it was Benzema etc but when there was word of Silva possibly going (and Neves is only 26 too) that it started to concern him.  It is only a matter of time before they start to take players in their prime - take some of the biggest names now, get established, then look to take players in prime because the standard has improved.