FOOTBALL

Forest Green: Hannah Dingley first woman to take reins at English club

Academy manager will be at the helm for friendly match after departure of head coach Duncan Ferguson

Paul Joyce

Tuesday July 04 2023, 10.00pm, The Times

Dingley is the only woman in charge of a men’s EFL academy team

Dingley is the only woman in charge of a men’s EFL academy team

SHANE HEALEY/PRO SPORTS IMAGES

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hannah-dingley-takes-temporary-charge-of-forest-green-rovers-j0m9nkxbn

Forest Green Rovers have appointed Hannah Dingley as caretaker head coach, making her the first woman to take charge of a professional men’s team in English football.

The club’s academy coach took training yesterday after the departure of head coach Duncan Ferguson. She will take the reins for the Sky Bet League Two club’s friendly against Melksham Town this evening.

“I’m really excited for this next step of my career, Dingley, 39, said last night. “Pre-season has just begun, and the full season kicks off very soon. It’s an exciting time in football.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to step up and lead such a progressive and forward-thinking club.”

Dale Vince, the Forest Green Rovers chairman, said: “Hannah was the natural choice for us, to be first team interim coach — she’s done a fantastic job leading our academy and is well aligned with the values of the club.

“It’s perhaps telling for the men’s game that in making this appointment on merit, we’ll break new ground — and Hannah will be the first female head coach in English [men’s] Football.”

Dingley is the only woman in charge of a men’s EFL academy team. She holds a Uefa Pro Licence and worked at Burton Albion before joining Forest Green four years ago when they were promoted to League Two.

Speaking to the BBC in March this year, Dingley claimed it “will not be long” until a woman was managing a men’s professional football team. “The success that the Lionesses are having, that Emma Hayes is having at Chelsea. There are others, really good female coaches out there who I have more than faith in [who] would be more than capable of coaching at a men’s level,” she said.

“I don’t think it’ll be long before you see a female on the touchline.”

Former Everton striker and coach Ferguson took charge of Forest Green last January when they were bottom of League One and could not prevent relegation, winning one of 18 games.