To three or not to three?

As this new season has slowly progressed, much has been made of this current squad of players and what formation we should be playing to ensure we get the best out of them. Despite the influx of new blood, much of the debate has unsurprisingly focused on two senior members of the squad, Tavernier and Barasic, due to their Jekyll and Hyde starts to the season. Further questions about our narrow shape and lack of width have have also been reinforced by Tuesdays events in Geneva. This has got me thinking of how to get the best qualities of Tav and Borna working to our advantage whilst ensuring that we are providing cover for our central defenders. It seems Beale is curious about the possibilities of a playing a back 3 as he has utilised a deep lying midfielder dropping in there on occasions. He has also further teased this idea with Sterling's recent cameos appearances against Livingston and Servette.

Does anyone see this as a long term concern? I could see this working for games against Celtic and games in Europe. On the graphic attached players could be swapped like for like (Roofe for Dessers, Ridvan for Borna etc.) IMO it provides cover for our back line and would ask less of Tav and Borna during games. Both are at the stage of their career where they cannot do both jobs to a good enough level. A 3 also gives Souttar more licence to step forward and use the ball. I know they are on a different level but look at what Stones does for Man City. It also allow us to play a higher press which (I feel we will have to do against PSV and Celtic). Thoughts?

3-5-2 FORMATION.jpg

It's actually a variation of the 4-4-2 diamond or 4-2-2-2. You often find sides that play the 4-2-2-2, play a back-three variation - Leipzig, for example - the principles are the same.  

Love it. 

I think it's our principles of play that lets us down, though, rather than our formation. 

1 minute ago, Malangsob said:

I like that.

Perhaps swap Sterling for Souttar?

Big John is pretty good at getting forward/delivery.

But yeah, that rocks. 

That's why I put Souttar in the middle. Not seen much of Sterling but Souttar is strong at moving the ball out of the back IMO.

1 hour ago, Malangsob said:

Ok...swap him out...what do you think otherwise? 

I don't like 3 at the back, never have and never will. Not to say it wouldn't be successful but it feels more like 5 at back rather than back 3.

Otherwise your team looks good