Man Utd statement re Greenwood

Manchester United has concluded its internal investigation into the allegations made against Mason Greenwood.

Our process commenced in February 2023, following all charges against Mason being dropped. Throughout, we have taken into account the wishes, rights and perspective of the alleged victim along with the club’s standards and values, and sought to collate as much information and context as possible. This has required us to proceed with sensitivity and care to obtain evidence not in the public domain, including from those with direct knowledge of the case.

Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged. That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for.

All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United. It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome.

Just now, Bluedell said:

Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged.

So they asked his fiancé (the victim) who has been coerced into retracting her statement and Man Utd conclude that he didn't do what the tape clearly shows he did. :rolleyes:

I always thought Man Utd had an element of class about them but they've lost a whole load of respect from me over this whitewash, which is obviously an attempt to maximise his transfer value. Scummy behaviour.

I'm no fan of Man Utd, but maybe the fact that Greenwood was (somehow) found innocent in a court of law limits how they can discipline him and what they can say. i.e. Publicly they have to appear to respect the not guilty verdict even though they believe he's guilty.

It could be a case of them telling him he's not getting a game so he might as well fuck off.

39 minutes ago, Thinker said:

I'm no fan of Man Utd, but maybe the fact that Greenwood was (somehow) found innocent in a court of law limits how they can discipline him and what they can say. i.e. Publicly they have to appear to respect the not guilty verdict even though they believe he's guilty.

It could be a case of them telling him he's not getting a game so he might as well fuck off.

I don't believe that he was found innocent. The case was dropped due to "withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light". 

It's hard to prosecute if his fiancé, being the only witness, withdraws. There appears to me to be some emotional coercion involved. 

We've heard the tape and seen the pics of what he did. 

41 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I don't believe that he was found innocent. The case was dropped due to "withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light". 

It's hard to prosecute if his fiancé, being the only witness, withdraws. There appears to me to be some emotional coercion involved. 

We've heard the tape and seen the pics of what he did. 

Apologies - you're quite right about the details of the case. And I agree - the damning evidence is there for all to see despite Greenwood paying his way out of bother.

The absence of a conviction may still limit what the club can say about him though.

Imo it's dangerous to conclude that you know clearly what he did from a couple of "out of context" social media posts or that his wife was coerced into retracting her statement, or paid for it. I'm not sure what the answer is but it's far from a straight forward situation and I'm not convinced that he should be punished for his whole career. 

Note that we have recently had a player on the team who was found guilty of assaulting his partner, and we have also had Gazza on the team who has done god knows how many stupid and awful things. These are difficult situations but I'm not sure calling out Man Utd on this is the right one.

2 hours ago, PoohBear said:

Imo it's dangerous to conclude that you know clearly what he did from a couple of "out of context" social media posts or that his wife was coerced into retracting her statement, or paid for it. I'm not sure what the answer is but it's far from a straight forward situation and I'm not convinced that he should be punished for his whole career. 

In what way are they out of context? if the whole thing was faked then it would have taken a couple of days to establish that and the whole thing would have been put to bed rather than take over 18 months to sort out.

I'm not saying that he should be punished for the rest of career, but it certainly appears that there's a whitewash going on.

2 hours ago, PoohBear said:

Note that we have recently had a player on the team who was found guilty of assaulting his partner, and we have also had Gazza on the team who has done god knows how many stupid and awful things. These are difficult situations but I'm not sure calling out Man Utd on this is the right one.

The 2 main differences are that the evidence in these cases weren't plastered all over social media by the victim and Rangers didn't attempt to claim anyone's innocence. 

I accept that they are difficult cases but I just disagree with how Man Utd have handled it.

It seems to me that this whole thing is murkier than a bowl of mushy peas. I don't think any is claiming innocence but there does appear to be push back on what he was accused of. It's impossible to judge in these situations. 

Val McDermid will adhere to her principles and get after Mason Greenwood with the same vigour she has attempted to stymie David Goodwillie.

The situation is a minefield for all interested parties, Greenwood, Man United, interested clubs and those who have already played a hand ie Val McDermid.