1 hour ago, CammyF said:

There was a discussion on FF recently staring the the entire Fanous Five and Iron Curtain players never actually faced each other very often. Any of the resident Historians confirm or deny this? 

Interesting point I’ve never thought about but it’s right. Jock Shaw was the first of the Curtain to retire at the end of season 1951/52 but played only twice that season neither time against the Hibs.  The previous season, 50/51,  he played in eighteen matches including a SC second round at Ibrox against Hibs (2-3 in front of 102,342) when all ten of the Curtain and the Five were on the park. Neither league match featured the tout ensemble.

The Five played  together for the first time in season 49/50 and encountered the Curtain in both league matches so that looks like only two league games when the unstoppable met the immovable.

Don’t bother to marvel at my phenomenal memory. I got all this from David Docherty’s excellent book, The Rangers Football Companion. It only covers 1946 - 1986 but it’s great for teams, results and attendances with the odd bit of narrative and some photos.

25 minutes ago, Bill said:

I get the impression this topic has run its course. It's just silly now.

Oh I Know GIF by M&M’S Chocolate

I’m just getting started, Bill. This is really for dotards well into their second childhood. You’ve got a year or two yet before you begin to approach that stage.

God knows what young @CammyF is doing here. His observations are very welcome nonetheless.

13 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

I’m just getting started, Bill. This is really for dotards well into their second childhood. You’ve got a year or two yet before you begin to approach that stage.

God knows what young @CammyF is doing here. His observations are very welcome nonetheless.

Love topics / threads like this, learn so much!

Obviously my past hero's are a little more recent than others as I'm a little younger (and it's been a few decades since I've been called young, so thanks 😀).

As for Weissmuller, I grew up being taken to the local Star cinema to watch reruns of the old Tarzan films by my Grandparents. Was only later I found out he was an Olympian. Born in Romania and represented USA.

5 gold medals in swimming and a bronze in water-polo, not a bad haul, then stardom in films. One of the best competitive swimming records of the 20th century and set world records during his career.  

Edited by CammyF

29 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Interesting point I’ve never thought about but it’s right. Jock Shaw was the first of the Curtain to retire at the end of season 1951/52 but played only twice that season neither time against the Hibs.  The previous season, 50/51,  he played in eighteen matches including a SC second round at Ibrox against Hibs (2-3 in front of 102,342) when all ten of the Curtain and the Five were on the park. Neither league match featured the tout ensemble.

The Five played  together for the first time in season 49/50 and encountered the Curtain in both league matches so that looks like only two league games when the unstoppable met the immovable.

Don’t bother to marvel at my phenomenal memory. I got all this from David Docherty’s excellent book, The Rangers Football Companion. It only covers 1946 - 1986 but it’s great for teams, results and attendances with the odd bit of narrative and some photos.

Thanks for the information, most appreciated. I'll need to look for the companion you mention, sounds like a very interesting book. 

2 hours ago, Scott7 said:

How much for the pair? £300M?

Throw in Charlton, and you'd need 500M GBP.

Mind you, that would be your forward line sorted.

How much wages would they command today? 

9 hours ago, Uilleam said:

Throw in Charlton, and you'd need 500M GBP.

Mind you, that would be your forward line sorted.

How much wages would they command today? 

Could one club afford them?

It would need a new club underwritten by the Spanish government. Reallona Unido.