January ââ?¬â?? A Hugely Important Month

Firstly, as this is my first rant of the new year, I�d like to take this opportunity to wish all our readers and everyone connected with the extended Rangers family and wonderful and prosperous New Year.

January is turning into a hugely important month for Rangers and I am not just talking about performances and results. As we all know, the weather has taken its toll and we face a fixture pile up that may ease up next November. January is also the time when the transfer widow opens and the rumours go into overdrive. I for one believe that our activity (or lack off) in this transfer window could go a long way in determining how successful we will be this season. With Roy Carroll be sold, we need a new goalkeeper, a left back, a couple of midfield players and a striker.

Gone are the days of Rangers plundering the top echelons of the transfer marketing and paying substantial fees for players like Amato, Negri, Mols, Albertz, Gazza, Laudrup (who was actually very inexpensive), Gio etc. Lets be honest with ourselves, we would all love the anticipation and excitement of looking forward to Rangers unearthing a ââ?¬Ë?blue chipââ?¬â?¢ Ã?© Alan Davidson Evening Tims and witnessing them terrorizing defences all over the land. Jeez, we would even settle for a ââ?¬Ë?surprisingly successfulââ?¬â?¢ signing ala Wee Rod Wallace. A player who slid into Ibrox almost unnoticed but became a wonderful player and ambassador for the club.

Given this, who are the likely targets for Rangers this transfer window? We wonââ?¬â?¢t ââ?¬Ë?break the bankââ?¬â?¢ but will have to replace players like Buffel, Ugo, Roy Carroll etc if they are sold. Walter Smith will pick up a ââ?¬Ë?run of the millââ?¬â?¢ SPL keeper as back up for McGregor and that is hard to argue with. McGregor is a decent keeper and has cemented himself as our No1. Left back is more of a challenge. We have supposedly looked at George McCartney the West Ham left back and Paul Robinson from West Brom. Both decent enough players and I would wouldnââ?¬â?¢t be adverse to signing one of those players. However, Iââ?¬â?¢d like to see Walter Smith use a piece of initiative and enquire if we could take Traore from Arsenal on a 6-12 month loan. He is 3rd choice left back at Arsenal but looks a prospect and Wenger isnââ?¬â?¢t adverse to allowing players to go out on loan. One midfield player Iââ?¬â?¢d like to see us pursue is Zoltan Gera at West Brom. He is out of contract in the summer and could be secured this month for a fee of Ã?£500,000. Striker is a difficult one but why not try for Benni McCarthy or Matt Derbyshire at Blackburn? Derbyshire is fast and knows where the goal is ââ?¬â?? he would be a fantastic signing. We are also believed to monitoring the situation with Rob Jones at Hibs. IMO, this would be a great signing, he is straight out of the Marvin Andrews school of defending!

No matter what, we MUST strengthen in January as me MUST maintain our advantage over Celtc. They have and will continue to add players to their squad and so must we. We are currently in a decent position and must do everything in our power to remain there. Not adding to the squad isn�t an option.

Silence Or Applause

The minutes applause as a mark of respect to the tragic passing of Phil O�Donnell raised the question and debate as to whether these respects should be marked by a minutes silence or a minutes applause. Lets not forget that minutes applause were introduced due to the fact that one set of supporters couldn�t stay silent for 1 minute during silences for football players, disasters, terrorist atrocities and members of the Royal Family.

I for one do not feel comfortable remembering the dead by ââ?¬Ë?clappingââ?¬â?¢ for a minute and, this is just my opinion, think that a minutes silence is more poignant and is the perfect way to respect the dead. During the minutes applauding for Phil Oââ?¬â?¢Donnell, I stood in silent reflection. This was in now way meant as a slight to the man or his family (in fact, my thoughts and prayers are with them at this tragic time) it is that I feel that silence is more respectful.

RIP Phil O�Donnell.

Regeneration Of Ibrox

Well, what can we take from the press release that Rangers are considering regenerating Ibrox and the surrounding area to the tune of Ã?£700M odd? Call me old fashioned but as my old granddad would always say ââ?¬Ë?no smoke without fire sonââ?¬â?¢. In my humble opinion, this was SDM ââ?¬Ë?testing the waterââ?¬â?¢, throwing out a line to see if anyone would bite. SDM is a lot of things and this includes him being an undoubted successful business man. If there is some Ã?£ââ?¬â?¢s to be made by buying up and regenerating Ibrox and the surrounding area, you can bet your last Ã?£ that SDM will be slap bang in the middle of it.

The only worrying this is, who will be the other investors. Given the magnitude of the announcement, he must have some one waiting in the wings (Tom Hunter? Mystery Russian investor?) to plough money into this project. It is also interesting to note that no mention if any of this �£700M odd will be used to improve the squad (and for most fans, thatâ��s the bottom line).

For what it�s worth and with most things that involve SDM and his moonbeams of success et al, I am quietly pessimistic and wary of the whole shebang!!!!

G14

So the G14 is to be disbanded (is there any truth in the rumour that the G14 would rather disband than allow Celtc at their table ââ?¬â?? heehee) and is to be replaced by a new ââ?¬Ë?European Club Associationââ?¬â?¢, with Rangers where they should be, right at the forefront of this organisation. Letââ?¬â?¢s remember that Rangers have been the driving force (mostly via the forward thinking of Campbell Ogilvie) of many European schemes (the CL format as an example) and as always, we tend to lead whilst others tend to follow.

It will be interesting to see how this is portrayed in the media, given how they went into overdrive when Celtc were ââ?¬Ë?acceptedââ?¬â?¢ into the G14 organisation minutes before it was dissolved (and replaced!!!).

You Can Only Be Envious

Saw a fantastic banner at a recent Linfield game that was transmitted live on SKY. It was a Union Flag which bore the legend ââ?¬Ë?You Can Only Be Enviousââ?¬â?¢. I think that this is a legend that we could borrow from our ââ?¬Ë?Blues Cousinsââ?¬â?¢ from Belfast and display with pomp at the next OF game. Imagine the faces (yeah I know, itââ?¬â?¢ll give the kids nightmares) of the ensemble Tims foaming at the mouth whilst reading a legend that they know sums up their whole existence?

Letââ?¬â?¢s face it, from our conceptions, we have been the forerunners of Scottish Football. We optimise football, especially Scottish Football. We were founded purely out of the love of sport and football in particular. We only ever played the game for sporting purposes. Added to that, we are the quintessential British team (or even establishment) with the history of Struth as the driving force of everything that we stand for. We are the most successful footballing team in the world ââ?¬â?? as the legend states ââ?¬â?? you can only be envious

Cammy F ââ?¬â?? We Are The Peopleââ?¬Â¦.