Scotland, Rangers, Me and My Thoughts�..

I would like to challenge you to find anything in any thread that could be conceived as ââ?¬Ë?attackingââ?¬â?¢ Scotland national team? I have merely pointed out that recently, Scotland have been a heap of steaming dung. That is not attacking them, it is being realistic but some have taken this as anti-Scottish, or an attack on Scotland.

Conversely, England have had a largely successful time of it recently. Semi and quarter finals and itââ?¬â?¢s a dozen years since they FAILED to qualify for a tournament ââ?¬â?? that is a record that MOST, if not ALL Scotland fans would gladly swap in a minute. To dispute that would be, and I quote myself here, as it is very apt, talking shit.

I vividly remember great Scotland teams and great Scotland performances, both by individuals and collectively as a team. However, those days have passed now (sic), we no longer produce the likes of Baxter (who never played at a world cup), Law, Bremner, Lorimar, JG, Jardine, McGrain, KD, Souness and even the likes of McCoist, MoJo, Gough etc etc.

Just because I can appreciate Englandââ?¬â?¢s ââ?¬Ë?successââ?¬â?¢ whilst admitting Scotlandââ?¬â?¢s failures doesnââ?¬â?¢t mean I an attacking Scotland, quite the opposite in fact. The best way to move forward and better yourself is to recognise your failings and try to improve on them.

In saying that, Scotland will NEVER reach the heights of past glories, as IMO, we were punching way above our weight. IMO, success now for Scotland is just qualifying for championships and putting up decent showings in the qualifying groups.

I would like nothing better than Scotland qualifying for the next WC and progressing from their group, but at this moment in time, that is like a Killie fan wanting his team to qualify for the CL and progress from the group stages ââ?¬â?? a great notion, but a pipe dream just the same.

I do not like certain aspects of the international scene, I make no secret of it, but I do not think any less of any Rangers fan who passionately follows Scotland ââ?¬â?? to do so would be hypocritical as I used to follow Scotland as passionately as I did Rangers. I can not stand the anti-unionist, anti-English and ââ?¬Ë?little Scotlanderââ?¬â?¢ attitude of sections of the TA, I do not like the SFA for their treatment of Rangers and Rangers players in the last decade or so. So what, I donââ?¬â?¢t like the wee neds that ruin Scotlands streets, but none of that makes me less Scottish.

Is their a rule, or an act of parliament (the Scottish shambles of a parliament that is) that dictates that you are not Scottish, or less Scottish if you donââ?¬â?¢t dress up as ââ?¬Ë?See You Jimmyââ?¬â?¢ or actively support the national football team? If there is, a HUGE percentage of the Scottish nation ainââ?¬â?¢t Scottish then. I have supported Scotland at football, rugby, cricket, bowls and athletics (commonwealth games and Olympics) but I have also enjoyed, congratulated, appreciated some wonderful performances at all of the above from non-Scots. Hold the bus, lets hang Cammy from the hanging tree for not being a ââ?¬Ë?true Scotsmanââ?¬â?¢Ã¢â?¬Â¦..

I remember applauding Juve off the pitch at Ibrox after that had embarrassed us ââ?¬â?? I wasnââ?¬â?¢t the only one either, they were unbelievable that evening and were applauded accordingly. So, does that make me less of a Rangers fan?

However, as following both got too expensive and too tiresome if I am being honest, I chose Rangers above Scotland and have never regretted it. Does that choice make me less of a Scot or more of a Bear ââ?¬â?? off course it doesnââ?¬â?¢t only some one with an agenda would claim either to be honest.

So there you have it, I understand the Rangers fans who follow Scotland and would never claim they were better / worse than me ââ?¬â?? I just hope that the Scotland supporting Rangers supporters would give me the same credit. Ah for a perfect world.

Cammy F

A good honest post Cammy.I like you support Scotland and also i don't hate the English,jealous maybe,but i think most of us hate the way the English media go on, at every opportunity,about England as it's in your face all the time.If roles were reversed i think you would get the same response from most English supporters, i mean who wants to listen to nonstop talking about a team that not only you don't support but let's be honest they are the auld enemy,plus the fact that they're not just satisfied with competing at the WC they're always going to win it which i think is quite disrespectful to opposing teams now there's nothing wrong in thinking you CAN win it but to me they always go OTT.Having said that this hate thing is also way OTT,personaly i think it's just the neds as usual as i don't know anybody that hates England,not saying there isn't.But you're right it'll be some acheivement for Scotland to qualify for a major tournament again,but lets hope they do

Cammy, i agree with you that nothing in that post is "anti-scottish."

but honestly- this whole "why do the scottish hate the english so much blah blah why cant they just support the english"

Why should we? because we're british?

Whats the point of this post other than to try and get a reaction from someone.

Everything you have said in that post is right. But what of it?

I'm loyal scotland football fan, i havent missed a home game in about five years (i think thats quite an achievement given i'm nearing 19), and i also appreciate englands past successes.

As far as i'm concerned- my attitude towards england is "well done, you won a world cup 40 years ago...but why does it have to be brought up at EVERY available opportunity?"

I'm not bitter in anyway, but much like this whole argument about "little scotland" etc, it gets VERY tiresome. People are entitled to support and dislike whatever football teams they wish.

Rino, I would NEVER ask anyone to support England - that is a personal choice. I don't support England - I just don't hate or dislike them. I don't mind them winning, as long as they are not playing Scotland. The same goes for Wales and NI.......

Cammy F

IMO, celebrating England getting beat is daft.

They're not really our rivals anymore as we're not at the same level as them. Fair enough if the Rous Cup was still contested but that died many years ago.

But if other folk want them to lose, I couldn't really care less. I can understand why they would due to the overwhelming hyperbole in the media.

However, IMO, the problem isn't with the English, it's with us for putting up with their media during these tournaments. Maybe it would be easier to accept them if we had our own commentators and pundits analysing the game?

So instead of Joke and Leckie moaning every other day about it, why don't they put their energies into giving us a real devolved BBC Scotland instead of Motson, Wright and MoN during these events? Same with all the Scots folk who moan about it.

So instead of Joke and Leckie moaning every other day about it, why don't they put their energiers into giving us a real devolved BBC Scotland instead of Motson, Wright and MoN during these events?

Be careful for what you wish for Frankie - would you really want them replaced by Joke Brown, Andy Walker and Derek Shyte???

;)

Cammy F

Obviously not. I prefer the mute button myself when any of those clowns are on.

Although Broon has been binned for Ian Crocker last I heard... :thup:

Aye, Crocker and Andy Gray would be the ideal duo for me....

Cammy F