I'll give Rangers first chance to sign me, says loan star Steve Davis

Apr 16 2008 By Colin Duncan

RANGERS' hopes of making Steve Davis' switch from Fulham permanent were last night given a major boost.

The midfielder revealed he will give the SPL leaders first crack at signing him.

The Ulsterman has been a revelation at Ibrox since arriving from Craven Cottage on loan during the January window and has played an integral part in Rangers' push for four trophies this season.

Now Ibrox boss Walter Smith has made keeping him his No.1 priority this summer.

The 23-year-old is receptive to the idea of furthering his career north of the border if Fulham decide to let him go.

But with Middlesbrough, Everton, Blackburn and Newcastle all chasing the �£4million-rated star Rangers might struggle to match the financial package on offer in the Premiership.

Davis said: "The most important thing for me is to see this season through first. We are still involved in three competitions at the moment and that's what I need to focus on.

"When the season finishes I will go away, have a break and hopefully sort out my future after that. What I can say is that I will listen to Rangers first. If they are an option then it's something I will consider.

"I grew up a Rangers fan and I have enjoyed my time here. It has been good for everyone and the fact we're in the semi-final of the UEFA Cup proves we are a massive club.

"The manager is well respected and it was good to read that he wants to keep me. I have enjoyed working with him.

"I haven't really thought about things and I suppose a lot will depend on what happens with Fulham."

Instead of fighting a relegation battle with the Londoners, Davis now finds himself closing in on four trophies with his boyhood heroes.

Yet, as he gears up for his second Old Firm clash the Northern Irishman admits he was surprised Roy Hodgson allowed him to move north.

He said: "I don't know why Fulham let me go. Before I came here I'd started almost every league game but then there was a change in manager. I was out of the team and when I heard of Rangers' interest I went to see the new boss.

"I didn't think he would agree to the move but he did and I'm so glad I came.

I've been able to add to the quality that was already here and things have worked out well."

Victory at Parkhead tonight would leave Celtic needing a miracle to overhaul Rangers in the title race and while Davis is confident he knows it will take another Herculean display.

He added: "We had big performance against Sporting last week, probably the best I've been involved in since I came here.

"We showed we are a good footballing side and there's no doubt we've taken a lot of confidence from that performance.

But it will take a similar showing against Celtic to get anything at Parkhead.

"Things have gone well for me since I came to Ibrox but there's a lot of football to be played and it's now a case of seeing it through.

"This will be my first experience of Parkhead but I'm looking forward to it.

"There's no doubt this game is huge just because of what is at stake. It's vital we get a result.

"A draw would suit us more than Celtic but you don't go into any game looking to draw. We'll be going there looking to win."

GET THE LAD SIGNED WALTER :notworthy:

Agreed.

For around �£3million, he's well worth it. Prefer to see him playing centrally and if so, I see him as the long term replacement for Ferguson in that role.

Thanks, Trev!