Kris Boyd insists the time is not right leave to leave Rangers, despite reported interest from Manchester City.

The Rangers striker has cut a frustrated figure for much of the present campaign, as Gers boss Walter Smith has often elected to start with his top goalscorer on the bench.

Boyd has hit a remarkable 24 goals this season, despite limited playing time, yet still he remains a player that divides opinion like few others.

The Scotland international could well point to 50 goals from 54 league starts for Rangers - at Kilmarnock he netted 64 in 106 starts - but his critics harbour resentment at his lack of work-rate outside of the box.

It was suggested in the weekend papers that Boyd could be a target for City in the summer, but the hit-man is confident he still has a future at Ibrox.

Happy for now

"It's not come to that stage for me, and I don't think it's come to that stage for Rangers either," he told Sky Sports News, when asked about a possible departure.

"At the end of the day if the gaffer didn't want me then he'd come and tell me that it's time to find another club."

Boyd accepts there are areas of his game that could be improved but of the opinion that goals win matches, he believes he has plenty to offer as Rangers chase a quadruple.

"I don't know, at the end of the day I look at what I do inside the box - and it's good enough to win games," when quizzed on whether he needs to improve his overall game.

"Obviously I'd like to add the other bits to my game but (Iain) Durrant used to say to annoy a couple of the lads at Killie, 'you get the bricks and he'll lay them'.

"Even the best in the world can add to their game and I'm like that too. But first I need to get back on the pitch, working hard in training.

"You need games to get really sharp, to improve the different aspects of your game that people go on about."

Taken from SKy Sports website. Looks like he wants to stay and fight for his place. Good man!

And slightly related - Big Carlos doesn't want to play for a 'team at the bottom'. Get it up ye Keegan - from the Daily Mirror website

Carlos Cuellar snubs Newcastle

16/04/2008

Related Articles

More Football

Have your say on Footy Forum in our Forums

Sport picturesKevin Keegan has been KO'd in his bid to lure Carlos Cuellar from Rangers.

The Newcastle chief is so keen on the Spanish defender that he has travelled to Glasgow to watch him in action twice.

Cuellar, 26, is this season's Player of the Year in Scotland. He has three and a half years left on his contract - and, in a major rebuff to Keegan, the Spaniard insists he wants to stay at Ibrox and "win trophies" rather than "play for a club at the bottom