Did Walter do wrong?

You wont convince me that WS made errors by not foreseeing a Zenit goal after 72 mins, no matter how hard you try.

I dont get your "fortune favours the brave" statement either - the point I was making is you cant pre-empt these decisions until you see how things are going - so throwing caution to the wind is fine but you need to spend at least a couple of mins to work out personnel.

Falling behind does have a response and they made it - dont forget they WERE in the ascendency at the time so WS, at least to me, looked like he was giving the incumbents the chance to dig themselves out - but after a few minutes he obviously needed fresh legs on and more attack-minded individual.

Re your 2nd post, not defeatist at all - I don't think we really looked like scoring last night - yes we had a few chances but I dont think we really looked like scoring - it isnt defeatist, it is realism.

I guess we agree to disagree.

Guest walkerger

I natwould have started 4-4-2 with in form Novo on with Darch to help him in attack! I mean it was a final not the home or away leg were you do not want to concede an away goal. If Nacho had of been on from the start i dont think he would have snatched at that chance at the end and we would have equalised and then been in the ascendancy.

At the end of the day,fans have a right of opinion,but that's where it ends.We are not professional football managers,Walter has nothing to prove about his ability as an experienced manager,we discuss what could/should happen,Walter has do decide what is best for Rangers FC and does so.Thank you WS for this season so far.WATP

Guest Ibroxian
At the end of the day,fans have a right of opinion,but that's where it ends.We are not professional football managers,Walter has nothing to prove about his ability as an experienced manager,we discuss what could/should happen,Walter has do decide what is best for Rangers FC and does so.Thank you WS for this season so far.WATP

Agreed, nice one Ian! I'll leave it at that..... and knowing that I'm right (Craig!) (My fingers are in my ears and I'm humming childishly and annoyingly "na, na, na, naaaar, na!":thup: )

Agreed, nice one Ian! I'll leave it at that..... and knowing that I'm right (Craig!) (My fingers are in my ears and I'm humming childishly and annoyingly "na, na, na, naaaar, na!":thup: )

Too funny !! I am doing the same. Agreed to disagree my man.

Walkerger, you cant say that if Novo had been on the pitch the whole game that he would have even been in that position to get that chance at the end. He could well have been subbed by then, or injured, or too tired to get in that position. It is all too hypothetical to say he would have scored - and for that matter not have scored.

I have been trying to analyse what went wrong with our Euro run that saw us playing some fantastic football in the first few rounds to being the talk of Europe for bringing in Anti football. In my eyes two major things happened that changed not our tactics but the way they were enforced. In the early days we played with Beasley on one wing and McCulloch on the other wing. That meant our 4-5-1 changed into a 4-3-3 very quickly when we had the ball. Adding to that we also had the best attacking fullback possibly in Europe. The loss of Hutton to me was probably the difference between being the bride or the bridesmaid.

After Beasley got injured we lacked the speed to turn defence into attack at the high speed needed for quick counters. Our 4-5-1 became a 4-5-----------1. Instead of Beasly and McCulloch giving us speed going forward and in McCulloch's case a lot of power we ended up with 5 midfielders in almost one line across the park. That meant it was oh so simple to close us down and the only outlet was a long ball up to JCD or Cousin.(Whoever was playing). As we all know from playing football ourselves a striker can hold the ball up. but not so long that the midfield can cover 40 yards. Which meant 32% of the balls were to no one. 32% he could hope for a flick on to no one.

32% he got the ball but lost it before help came, and 4% caused some danger.

Adding to that Walters more and more negative starting line-ups and indeed the injuries we have had meant in the end we were always going to struggle in the final.