WALTER SMITH is predicting that Kevin Thomson and Stevie Whittaker will become key players for Rangers in the new campaign.

As he prepares to face Schalke in the Veltins Arena this afternoon, Smith reckons the former Hibs pair will raise their game to a higher level.

And he also feels Lee McCulloch can offer more have established himself at Rangers now.

Smith said: "Not just because Barry is injured but I think in terms of his own progression Kevin can move forward and be a terrific and important player for us this season.

"It always takes a bitKevin Thomson of time to make the transition from, for example, Hibs to Rangers and settle in.

"I think he did that last season, when he played exceptionally well in parts for us. This season I am looking for more maturity and consistency in his play.

"He is ready for that and Steven Whittaker is exactly the same; I hope he too can come to the fore a bit more.

"I do not think he has been inhibited by Barry's presence I just think it is a natural aspect of coming to Rangers and Celtic and playing with that higher expectancy week in, week out.

"It is different if you are talking about a player at 28 who has been around a bit but at 22 and 23 it takes a bit longer to settle.

"Steven is a right back it was just last season, with him capable of playing in other positions, that circumstances dictated. At the start, we had Alan Hutton and I felt Steven could work well in front of him wide right.

"Lee is another in that bracket. He is slightly more experienced but he has had that year behind him now and is also quite adaptable. He is another who will have an influence this season, I have no doubt about that."

Smith has no doubts that Schalke will represent a major test for his side as he tries to find the right formation for the vital Champions League qualifiers.Steven Whittaker

Carlos Cueller, Kyle Lafferty and DaMarcus Beaasley will all miss out along with Allan McGregor and it will be interesting to see who Smith chooses for the front places.

He said: Schalke will be a good team. I think they came close to the title two years ago but won only one of their last four games and lost out to Stuttgart and they finished third last season

"They have spent money again this summer to try and take it that one step further so they will be a good test. ahead of our Champions League matches,

"They have changed quite a bit since last season and are maybe not totally at the stage they have been at."

Meanwhile, Smith has revealed that he has arranged three closed door games for next week in addition to the friendlies against Clyde and Raith Rovers to give match action to all of his squad.

Im hoping that statement says Whittaker will play at full back becuase I just dont see him as a midfielder.

McCulloch has to get his finger out, he was poor from January onwards.

Thomson has the world at his feet and a huge chance to cement his place in the midfield for the next 5-8 years. He didnt over impress me in the games i saw him but thats because he does a lot of ugly work. I dont think he and Ferguson are correct in the same midfield unless you have a creative guy also, so with BF out for 3 months now is the chance for Thomson to show he doesnt need BF.

Thomson's main problem is that he always plays on the edge - I can see him getting suspended a fair bit if he continues with his sometimes rash tackling. He could form a pairing with Hemdani or Ferguson as two sitting midfielders with say Davis in front of them but that would mean losing a strker and playing 4-5-1. Many teams - not least Benitez' Liverpool - now play this way. Nonetheless,like Gribz, I see him as a future captain.

^^No place for Fleck? He seems to be easing himself into the team now. I'd put him in MCulloch's position.

Sorry took my post out as I messup with an edit and was practically naming the whole squad and a bit of a guess :)

Fleck I can really see as a fringe player this year and will get run outs when games have been won and he will be in the squad due to the U21 rule.

I actually havent seen Fleck and dont know whether he is right, left or central. Does he come deep??? I get the impression of a young Rooney??

But my point was I dont see us having the midfield personnel for a 4-4-2 at the moment due to no natural right winger and no creative player. There is the option of 2 holding midfielders (Hemdani and Thomson) and play 2 wingers - one which would have to be Novo at the moment.

Sorry took my post out as I messup with an edit and was practically naming the whole squad and a bit of a guess :)

Fleck I can really see as a fringe player this year and will get run outs when games have been won and he will be in the squad due to the U21 rule.

I actually havent seen Fleck and dont know whether he is right, left or central. Does he come deep??? I get the impression of a young Rooney??

But my point was I dont see us having the midfield personnel for a 4-4-2 at the moment due to no natural right winger and no creative player. There is the option of 2 holding midfielders (Hemdani and Thomson) and play 2 wingers - one which would have to be Novo at the moment.

Fleck is left-footed but seems comfortable anywhere. Tends to play either wide left or just behind the main striker. Maybe not quite so strong as Rooney but has similar touches.

Agree with you about not having personnel for 4-4-2; that is why I see the 2 holding midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 as a way of utilising our imbalanced squad at the moment. Fleck or Davis if we get him could play in front of Hem. and Thomson, flanked by Novo and maybe Lafferty. Don't see where Miller fits in though (or Boyd) and therein lies the problem!

Fleck is left-footed but seems comfortable anywhere. Tends to play either wide left or just behind the main striker. Maybe not quite so strong as Rooney but has similar touches.

Agree with you about not having personnel for 4-4-2; that is why I see the 2 holding midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 as a way of utilising our imbalanced squad at the moment. Fleck or Davis if we get him could play in front of Hem. and Thomson, flanked by Novo and maybe Lafferty. Don't see where Miller fits in though (or Boyd) and therein lies the problem!

Yeah I quite fancy the 4-2-3-1 at the moment or the 4-3-3. I can see Miller fit in any but I also want to see Velicka in there.