Falkirk reject Gers' ticket levy

Rangers fans must buy tickets directly from Falkirk

Who pays for the Old Firm ticket levy - the home club or the fans?

Falkirk managing director George Craig has told BBC Scotland that his club has rejected Rangers' proposed 5% handling fee to sell tickets for away matches.

The Old Firm consider the levy a means of recouping administration costs for distributing tickets to their own fans.

"We weren't prepared to pay the 5% for the service that would be provided by Rangers, so we just had to get on and sell tickets ourselves," said Craig.

"We think we will be able to sell tickets quite comfortably in our area."

Rangers and Celtic contacted the 10 other Scottish Premier League clubs to announce that they would be charging the fee for handling ticket sales to fans who wished to travel to see the Old Firm clubs play away matches.

On Friday Kilmarnock chairman Michael Johnston described the move as stirring up "a hornets' nest" and that the clubs would discuss a response.

For Falkirk, though, the matter is pressing. They host Rangers on the opening day of the season, 9 August.

Craig said: "We were a bit surprised to receive the letter from Rangers and Celtic just a few weeks prior to the start of the season.

"It was totally unexpected, but we're first up so we had to respond.

"It's up to Rangers and Celtic how they run their business - I've got to worry about Falkirk.

"We just couldn't accept the 5% handling fee that was suggested. To compete in the SPL financially is difficult at the best of times," Craig continued.

It remains to be seen how the board at Dundee United will deal with the issue. The Terrors host Celtic on 17 August.

Falkirk, though, are confident that they can handle ticket sales for visiting fans.

"We've put in place a process that we think will ensure a smooth sale of tickets and also make sure that a lot of local people who support Rangers will be in the stadium that day," said Craig.

"We're in the central belt, there are a lot of Rangers supporters in the Falkirk area. Of course, I would prefer them to be coming to support Falkirk, but I'm a realist."

Both Kilmarnock and Falkirk have indicated that the move by the Old Firm has, at best, stimulated some debate among the 10 other SPL clubs.

"Each club has got to make a decision. I think it's fair to say that every other club was surprised at this recent development," added Craig.

"It's fairly common that the clubs support each other when it comes to selling tickets to their own supporters at away grounds."

Despite the rejection of Rangers' terms, Craig insists Falkirk and the Glasgow side are discussing the forthcoming tie.

Craig stated: "They are fully aware of what we are doing. It always was an option that if we weren't going to take up the 5% handling fee then we would sell the tickets ourselves.

"There's the whole issue of unacceptable conduct within the stadium so both clubs have got to communicate."

To be honest i can't blame Falkirk. I would have done the same thing. I would be thinking if you want your supporters in the stadium then do your own donkey work.

To be honest i can't blame Falkirk. I would have done the same thing. I would be thinking if you want your supporters in the stadium then do your own donkey work.

On the other hand, if Falkirk need Rangers fans to fill up their ground, why should Rangers provide this service for free?

However it's going to end up that the cost will get passed onto the supporters, as the other clubs will just increase their ticket prices to accouint for this, so it's lose-lose for the fans.

On the other hand, if Falkirk need Rangers fans to fill up their ground, why should Rangers provide this service for free?

However it's going to end up that the cost will get passed onto the supporters, as the other clubs will just increase their ticket prices to accouint for this, so it's lose-lose for the fans.

I don't think the clubs can increase prices for away fans without increasing them for the home fans.

There are rules which prevent clubs charging a premium to away fans. They can only charge the same as the home fans for the same quality of seat. Which seems fair to me.

Season tickets of course are not included in this.

I'm not surprised that Falkirk turned it down, 5% seems extremely excessive.

As to whether Rangers are providing a service for free, you first have to ask who are they providing the service for - the away club or Rangers fans?

If it's the latter, then why should Falkirk pay for Rangers FC to provide a service to Rangers fans?

Therefore if all clubs refuse the fee and Rangers want to distribute the tickets but recoup the 5%, Rangers fans could be charged 5% extra by Rangers for a booking fee for the tickets.

Otherwise the smaller clubs might just start using someone like Ticket Master who will also charge a fee.

In the end Rangers and Celtic will be providing a poorer service to their fans.

I don't think the clubs can increase prices for away fans without increasing them for the home fans.

There are rules which prevent clubs charging a premium to away fans. They can only charge the same as the home fans for the same quality of seat. Which seems fair to me.

Season tickets of course are not included in this.

I'm not surprised that Falkirk turned it down, 5% seems extremely excessive.

As to whether Rangers are providing a service for free, you first have to ask who are they providing the service for - the away club or Rangers fans?

If it's the latter, then why should Falkirk pay for Rangers FC to provide a service to Rangers fans?

Therefore if all clubs refuse the fee and Rangers want to distribute the tickets but recoup the 5%, Rangers fans could be charged 5% extra by Rangers for a booking fee for the tickets.

Otherwise the smaller clubs might just start using someone like Ticket Master who will also charge a fee.

In the end Rangers and Celtic will be providing a poorer service to their fans.

Agree Cal, that is the way i was looking at it.

Craig said: "We were a bit surprised to receive the letter from Rangers and Celtic just a few weeks prior to the start of the season.

"It was totally unexpected, but we're first up so we had to respond

they were either a bit suprised or it was totally unexpected, make your mind up :)

and i can see it in both rangers and the away teams point of view.

But this doesn't make a good case when we need a favour from them in the future it looks like the big bad glasgow clubs are bullying the minnows as usual

so how does it work from the away teams point of view when they want there fans to come to visit the glasgow clubs ?? do they sell their own tickets ?? if so why can't we

Hearts reject Old Firm ticket levy

Hearts have rejected a proposal put forward by Rangers and Celtic that would have meant the Tynecastle club incurring a 5% charge from the total ticket revenue generated from Old Firm fans who bought tickets to see their team at Tynecastle.

Campbell Ogilvie, managing director, Hearts said: "We received letters from both Rangers and Celtic regarding a proposal to charge a 5% handling fee for the administration of those club's ticket sales at Tynecastle.

"We have made it quite clear that we will not accept any levy being deducted from tickets sold by either club in respect of matches being played between these clubs and Hearts at Tynecastle Stadium.

"We will therefore require to consider in detail how tickets will be distributed to supporters of Rangers and Celtic at forthcoming matches at our stadium."

Hearts join in and the big loser will be the Rangers supporters.

SPL sides revolt against Old Firm ticket commission plans

Jul 23 2008 By Gary Ralston

THE fightback against Old Firm plans to charge a commission for selling tickets for rival clubs begins today.

Officials from several SPL clubs will meet for informal talks as opposition to the five per cent levy requested by Celtic and Rangers grows.

Falkirk yesterday became the first club to address the issue as they entertain Rangers in the SPL opener on August 9.

Falkirk have decided to sell visitor tickets locally themselves and will even use the names and addresses they gather to try to tempt Old Firm fans to support the Bairns instead.

Dundee United are still debating how to deal with the issue when Celtic visit on August 17 but chief executive Stephen Thompson admitted clubs are smarting at the conduct of the big two.

He said: "An informal meeting has been called at fairly short notice to discuss this issue and up to half a dozen clubs will attend.

"We all share the same opinion, none of us is happy at the principle of the issue and the way it has been handled by the Old Firm.

"There is so much good going on in the SPL at the moment with the new TV deal but the way the Old Firm have handled this has left a bad taste.

"They are opening up a can of worms for what is not a large sum of money. It's a minefield. Clubs are not allowed to deduct ticket money from each other so it is not a formal SPL matter - yet."

The Old Firm have angered the rest of the SPL by asking for the admin fee for briefs distributed from ticket offices at Parkhead and Ibrox.

Falkirk will sell 2500 tickets to Rangers fans directly and they will be invited to apply for up to four tickets via an application form in the print version only of the Falkirk Herald tomorrow, with a public sale proposed at Westfield on August 5.

Central Scotland Police are happy with the arrangements and all fans requesting tickets will be asked to supply a name and address, which will be checked against a database of football offenders.

Falkirk chief executive George Craig said: "The easy thing to do would be to give Rangers the five per cent but we have chosen not to. We have no axe to grind with the Old Firm and how they choose to run their businesses but my first interest is Falkirk.

"We've got to be imaginative about how we grow our support in the local area. One way might be to try to persuade some of the people whose first allegiance is elsewhere that we have a team that's worth getting behind."

Rangers supporters groups have backed their club's stance but fear for the long-term future of supporters clubs if home teams continue to distribute all tickets.

Jim Templeton of the Rangers Assembly said: "The club are entitled to ask for a handling fee because the other teams in the SPL dramatically increase their prices when the Old Firm visit.

"We have concerns about the future of supporters' clubs, as well as security concerns over visits to places such as Pittodrie. SPL clubs need to get round the table quickly."

No one at Rangers or Celtic was available. SPL operations director Iain Blair refused to comment.

This could get interesting. Ive always said the other clubs need the OF fans to show up for a pay day and the OF should do something about it. But I dont think an admin fee is a justified reason as its not a money issue, its more of a hate and anti OF campaign.

I wonder how this will work with clubs selling the tickts directly to fans and if they need to pick them up themselves from the ticket office. If this is the case then any Joe can walk in and buy.

I remember I used to get my tickets for the Rangers end at Pittodrie from a Director of AFC and he used to just tell me to go along to the ticket office and he will let them know I am coming. I used to get 4 tickets and a few times there were huge que's of Sheep queing for their tickets and I walked in asking for my 4 which were printed off in blue (like the away tickets are for us) infront of all these neds. I could have got my head to play with.