Rangers defender Carlos Cuellar

Cuellar was outstanding at the heart of the Rangers defence

Carlos Cuellar has pledged his future to Rangers after being named the club's player and players' player of the year.

Cuellar, 26, enjoyed a wonderful first season at Ibrox, claiming the SPL top player prize along with the Scottish Football Writers' award.

The Spanish centre-back had been linked with a move to the English Premiership.

"I am very happy at Rangers and the supporters are one of the reasons," Cuellar told the official club website. "I want to stay here for many years."

Cuellar collected his further accolades at the Glasgow club's annual awards dinner on Tuesday.

The Madrid-born defender joined Rangers last summer from Osasuna in a �£2.4m deal and made more than 50 appearances, scoring five goals, last season.

I am very happy at Rangers and the supporters are one of the reasons. I want to stay here for many years

Rangers defender Carlos Cuellar

He first came to the attention of manager Walter Smith when Rangers met the Pamplona side in the Uefa Cup two seasons ago.

Cuellar's stellar performances, partnering veteran David Weir at the heart of the Rangers defence, inspired the club to the cusp of an unprecedented quadruple of honours, having to settle for the Scottish Cup and CIS Cup.

The Ibrox club lost 2-0 to Zenit St Petersburg in the Uefa Cup final and were denied the Scottish Premier League title by Celtic on the last day of the season having led for much of the campaign.

And Cuellar says he plans to be an even better player this season following a smooth transition last term from Spain's La Liga to Scotland's top-flight.

"I think we had a fantastic season in every competition," enthused Cuellar. "We came so close in the league, we reached the Uefa Cup final and we won two trophies.

"It was very important for the club to do that and, on a personal level, I felt very good within the team.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Would Gers fans be happy to see Cuellar commit his future to the club?

"It was a new experience for me and I loved every minute of it. I had no problem settling in with the other players, which was great.

"I said that when I came that I wanted to play in every game and that I wanted to win every trophy. When you play with good players, it makes doing that easier.

"Last season was my best as a professional player, but I hope this season will be even better."

Cuellar is in a race to be fit for next week's crucial Champions League qualifier against FBK Kaunas after a calf strain kept him out of Rangers' three friendly games on their recent pre-season trip to Germany.

Music to the ears. Lets just hope he is not pushed out the door as Hutton was.

Carlos Cuellar standing firm to resist Premier League overtures

Rangers defender Carlos Cuellar has rejected speculation linking him with a move to England and claimed that his preference is to remain at Ibrox for the foreseeable future.

By Ewing Grahame

Last Updated: 1:19AM BST 24 Jul 2008

The Spaniard, who was voted Player of the Year last season by the Scottish Football Writers' Association, was signed for �£2.4 million from Osasuna in July 2007 and made 65 appearances for Walter Smith's side last season. He is recovering from a calf strain, but is aiming for a return to competitive action next week, when the Lithuanian side FBK Kaunas arrive in Scotland for the first leg of their Champions League qualifying-round tie.

"The club is fantastic and each year we have the chance to play in the Champions League so it is a great place for any player," said Cuellar, who has been monitored by Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United.

"I want to stay for many years. It was a new experience for me and I loved every minute of it. Last season was my best ever as a professional player but I hope that next season will be even better."

Rangers remain hopeful of signing Cardiff City's Dutch defender Glenn Loovens and PSV Eindhoven's Finnish midfielder Mika V�¤yrynen before tomorrow's UEFA signing deadline ahead of the Kaunas tie.

Champions Celtic will be without the Japanese duo Shunsuke Nakamura and Koki Mizuno for the start of the new campaign.

Nakamura requires surgery to repair a persistent hernia problem, although it is believed that manager Gordon Strachan, who has refused to give interviews even to the club's official media outlets since May, expects the 30-year-old midfielder to miss only the opening SPL fixture against St Mirren at Parkhead.

Mizuno, 22, who has yet to make his senior debut since arriving from JEF United in January, requires an operation on his knee.

Strachan's long quest to remove Guinea defender Bobo Balde from the wage bill may finally be about to succeed, with Wolverhampton Wanderers manager Mick McCarthy understood to be ready to table a bid for the 32-year-old after being frustrated in his pursuit of Hearts captain Christophe Berra.

Meanwhile, the Edinburgh club have joined Falkirk in refusing to pay Celtic and Rangers a five per cent handling fee for distributing tickets to their travelling supporters. Campbell Ogilvie was secretary at Ibrox for 20 years before relocating to the capital but the Hearts managing director regards the proposal as profiteering on behalf of the Old Firm.

"We have made it clear we will not accept any levy being deducted from tickets sold by either club in respect of matches being played between these clubs and Hearts at Tynecastle, he said."