From Lindsay Herron in Kaunas

WALTER SMITH admitted Rangers were not good enough as they crashed out of Europe at the first hurdle after a shock defeat in Lithuania tonight.

After hitting the high of 19 games in Europe last season and reachng the UEFA Cup Final Rangers suffered the horror low of going out at the first time of asking.

Smith was shattered and admitted that his players did not reach the required level to progress.

He sadi:"Steven Whittaker and Kirk BroadfootIt's obviously a huge blow for everyone. We didn't do well enough over the two legs and we have paid the price for that.

"It's a reasonable excuse to use that the effects of last season are still with the players but I don't think it is a relevant one.

"I think the importance of tonight's game should have been enough for us but we haven't reached the right level so far this season.

"We could have extended our lead when we were one up but I didn't feel we ever looked comfortable in the game.

"The goals we lost we were well warned about. Kaunas's biggest danger is from set pieces and they have scored from a free kick and a corner and that's the biggest disappointment.

"In fairness to Radzius he hit a good free kick but we should have cleared the ball before the second goal went in,

"We have to look at ourselves but that was not good enough and it's up to everyone to stick together and get that right as quickly as possible.

"The biggest blow for us is that we are out of Europe completely.

I heard WS and Dailly talking on the radio, WS saying it's not good enough but really didn't sound that bothered to be honest, but then Dailly saying we played OK, put in a good shift, created chances and that the players done their best. I wonder how many players are actually hurting like the fans this morning, not that many I guess. These players are picking up thousands each week and giving nothing back not even much commitment, it makes me sick they should be ashamed to call themsleves a Rangers player.

I am really not looking forward to going to the games this season, first time ever for me.