In a weekend where we saw Cousin sent off for use of the elbow there were three players, including Evander Sno on his Ajax d�©but sent off in the Dutch league. In all of the red cards i really only saw one that was earned and that was De Guzman a Feynoord player. There is obviously a UEFA directive to take a hard hand(or hard elbow:D ) on elbows, but can intent be judged in most cases. De Guzman was obviously an aggressive elbow but the others i saw were in the jump imo. Have the refs gone over the top on this one and can they judge on a seconds decision? I think not and without TV evidence then only the obvious cases should be punished with a card. Free kick, i agree with but a card should only be given for obvious intent.

Guest jshields

I think the decision was unfair however i dont think it was totaly outrages.

Cousin was getting him self in about the game yesterday and to be fair he did comit a few fouls so i think the referee sent him off for consistant fouling more than that one particular challenege.

To be fair to the ref, the booking was for persistent fouling and not just the one occasion. I would need to watch the game again, but maybe Cousin was repeatedly leading with his elbow, got a warning and that was the last straw.

He definitely does lead with the elbow most of the time - which is also mostly innocuous. But he knows the rules and although it's hard to jump with your arms by your side, surely you have to adapt to the rules and at least use your elbows less obviously?

Keepers can't pick up a pass-back and then argue it used to happen all the time without punishment....

It'll be interesting to see how many more sending off's we get in the SPL this season for the same thing. One thing's for sure, big Lee's not going to last long :rolleyes:.

It's a difficult one to judge though and no doubt there'll be a fair amount of play-acting going on, which will only make matters worse.

Maybe Cousin should go up without his elbows a few times, let himself be clobbered by the other guy's elbows, fall down in agony, and get his opponent booked for the same thing as he has been punished for.

Might be a bit painful but prove his point that he's only protecting himself.

Guest BTBBilly

It amazed me the sending off of Cousin, but what also amazed me was the commentators, reporters and celtic fans calling for him to be sent off and saying he deserved it. Nearly everygame last season Joe Vinegar of Castlemilk was jumping up with his elbows and causing some damage (Zander Diamond anyone?) When this happens though everyone just says "its just the way he jumps" BOLLOCKS.

It amazed me the sending off of Cousin, but what also amazed me was the commentators, reporters and celtic fans calling for him to be sent off and saying he deserved it. Nearly everygame last season Joe Vinegar of Castlemilk was jumping up with his elbows and causing some damage (Zander Diamond anyone?) When this happens though everyone just says "its just the way he jumps" BOLLOCKS.

With a face like his, how could you tell if Zander Diamond was damaged or not??:thup:

It's just the way the game has gone - 15-20 years ago, all the challenges Cousin put in wold have been commended as good centre forward play, now they are fouls. It's a shame the game is going in the direction physical battles are frowned upon.