--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THEY'RE supposed to stick together. The fabled goalkeeping fraternity is meant to forge ties as thick as any blood ones.

But Andy Goram won't be making any effort to put a metaphorical arm around the shoulder of Artur Boruc this week.

The Celtic stopper had an excruciating afternoon on Sunday when two mammoth mistakes helped Rangers to their most comprehensive win at Parkhead for 14 years.

And Goram loved every minute of it. "I have no sympathy for him," he said. "None at all. If it was Allan McGregor who was in this position, I'm quite sure Artur Boruc wouldn't be feeling anything for him.

"It's about what you do for your team. That's it. I enjoyed myself on Sunday. I enjoyed the result and I enjoyed the manner of the victory. It's exactly what Rangers needed and it proved a few points to everyone.

"Artur Boruc won't have a good week - but that's of no concern to Rangers."

Boruc ought to have stopped the opener on Sunday when Daniel Cousin beat him at his near post, but the biggest howler of the game came when he spilled a Kirk Broadfoot cross at the feet of former team-mate Kenny Miller.

Miller, of course, stroked the ball in to the net much to the glee of the visiting support and Boruc's day of misery was complete.

He will be sidelined this week as Poland begin their World Cup qualifying campaign as punishment for flouting a curfew when he was last on international duty with Leo Beenhakker's side.

Headlines in his homeland of a drunken night out were quickly followed up by revelations that he was fined by Celtic this summer during the Feyenoord tournament for a similar incident and Goram, no stranger to either boozy nights or the wrong kind of headlines, has watched with interest.

And the fact that Boruc has become something of a nemesis for the Ibrox support sweetened Sunday's win.

"When you want to go down that route of going out and enjoying yourself then you still have to be able to do it on the pitch," said the former Rangers keeper.

"When I was at Rangers we all loved a good time. But we could back it up. We knew we had the talent on the pitch to afford to go for a night out and still do the business.

"Artur has discovered that he can't. My worst time as a goalkeeper was when I just arrived at Rangers.

"I had a hard few months, but the advice I got was that it was all about how I dealt with adversity.

"That's what the Celtic people will be telling Artur. It is all about how he reacts to this. He is a decent keeper - but I think he has believed a lot of his own publicity.

"If he wants to talk the talk then he has to be able to back it up. He has enjoyed winding the Rangers fans up in the three years he has been at Parkhead, and he has to take it on the chin now that they're enjoying him squirming a bit."

The emphatic nature of the win at the weekend will be the biggest disappointment for Celtic to come to terms with, and Goram believes that the result is huge in terms of its psychological significance.

When Martin O'Neill's side humbled Rangers 6-2 in the opening Old Firm game of the season back in 2000, it set down a precedent for the season to come. The Ibrox side never really recovered from that defeat, despite hitting back in the next Old Firm game with a 5-1 win.

It gave Celtic the belief that they were championship contenders and a shell-shocked Rangers side under Dick Advocaat started to crumble.

It's something that Goram can now envisage happening the other way. He said: "There has been all this talk that Celtic are invincible at Parkhead and that is nonsense.

"But many Rangers teams recently have been obviously intimidated about playing there. Too many sides in recent seasons have gone into their shells when the time has come to go to Parkhead. That wasn't there on Sunday.

"They took the game by the scruff of the neck and could have scored even more. It puts to bed this theory that Celtic are brilliant on their own ground because they're not.

"I actually don't think the current team could hold their own against our Rangers team of the 90s - we'd annihilate them. And so would the Celtic team of that time, too.

"Tommy Burns' Celtic side were a great footballing team and they'd play the current Celtic side off the park.

"But I fancy big things to come from this result. I fancied Rangers at the start of the season for the title and on Sunday they put down a marker to that effect."

And Kenny Miller's goals at the weekend were the perfect way to endear himself to a section of the Ibrox support unsure of his credentials.

"I was pleased for Kenny because he works his socks off," said Goram. "If Mo Johnston could play for Celtic and then go to Rangers and score plenty goals, why can't Kenny? It's all about what he does for Rangers now.

"But the biggest thing for me at the weekend wasn't Kenny, but Walter. He came in for so much criticism last season that was unwarranted.

"He knows what he is doing and people have to trust him. I'm sure he'll take the championship back to Ibrox this season and he deserves all the plaudits this week because I'm sure it was a long summer for him."

[quote=ian1964"When I was at Rangers we all loved a good time. But we could back it up. We knew we had the talent on the pitch to afford to go for a night out and still do the business.

"Artur has discovered that he can't.

Lovin' it!!!!:drink::rfc::thup:

Kinda glad he isn't- could you imagine him and McShagger going out for a quick beer after work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:

I remember going out for a drink with the goalie and my wife asked me beforehand if I could get his autograph for her.

Halfway through the session I remembered and of course the Goalie obliged.

I get home totally out my tree but the wife asks me if I got the autograph. I gave it to her and she looks at bit of paper which says:

To Mrs Bluedell

Sorry he's drunk!

Andy Goram.

:D

I remember going out for a drink with the goalie and my wife asked me beforehand if I could get his autograph for her.

I get home totally out my tree but the wife asks me if I got the autograph. I gave it to her and she looks at bit of paper which says:

To Mrs Bluedell

Sorry he's drunk!

Andy Goram.

Class :cheers: :drink:

To Mrs Bluedell

Sorry he's drunk!

Andy Goram.

Haha thats fantastic :D