Fergie Back Next Month

Back Where I Belong

By Andrew Dickson

BARRY FERGUSON has welcomed the midfield signings Rangers have made - and says they make him even hungrier to return to action alongside them.

The Ibrox captain could be playing again in a month after resuming training at the start of September following ankle surgery in July.

Barry Ferguson in FlorenceFerguson is on the comeback trail despite some suggesting his career was in ruins as a result of the injury which has sidelined him since the summer.

And the 30-year-old is desperate to prove his doubters wrong after claims there simply wasn't room for him in Walter Smith's side any more after the influx of new faces.

Pedro Mendes and Steven Davis have both impressed since penning deals and Maurice Edu is expected to shine in the months ahead too.

But Ferguson is adamant there IS a place for him in the Light Blues' first XI and is ready to meet the latest challenge he is faced with head on.

The skipper said: "I think the new signings brought in by the manager recently are good players.

"Davo (Davis) has obviously been here before and he knows what it is all about when you play for Rangers so it was never going to be a problem when he arrived.

"Pedro has quality too and everyone can see that. He knows how to slow a game down and how to pass and he is someone I look forward to playing with.

"Big Madjid (Bougherra) has been great at the back and looks like he has been there beside Davie (Weir) for years. Maurice also played well in his debut at the weekend.Barry Ferguson

"The boys up front have done well too and the gaffer has built a great squad. Hopefully when everyone else who is out gets fit, we'll be very strong.

"It is something I'm very excited about. I can't wait to play in this team and while there is competition, that's the way it should be. You need that.

"It is healthy and it's making me work even harder as I come back. I'm giving that extra bit in the gym to make sure I get back to my best.

"I can't wait to play and I'm having to try not to get over-excited. I'm stepping things up each day and it's getting harder but that's what I want.

"You realise when you are out how much you miss football and I'm so hungry to play again.

"I've heard whispers about me being finished but I don't know where people get that kind of stuff. I want to show people how fit and strong I am when I come back."

Bottom line for me is goals, winning games & winning the SPL (in that order) and I personally think we'll score more goals in the season playing the 4-4-2, although I could be wrong. For me, we didn't play the 4-5-1 effectively enough last season. Yes it was a great season for the club, but it could have been better (as we all know). Points repeatedly going astray when they shouldn't be just isn't good enough. The 4-5-1 formation can be deadly when it's played properly & especially in the attacking sense with the wide men feeding the striker consistently, but for some reason I think we played more defensively in that formation than we should have been. Defend from midfield then attack on the break seemed to become... just defend. Ok there were a few glorious moments of counter attacking genius, but overall they were sadly lacking imo.

If we continue with the 4-4-2 formation I for one wouldn't be happy at all to see Mendes replaced by BF & if they're played together I really wonder whether BF can step up his game to play the sort of football that Mendes aspires to. If he can then it could be an incredible partnership, but if not, it could be disaster with us loosing games we should never be loosing.

Bottom line for me is goals, winning games & winning the SPL (in that order) and I personally think we'll score more goals in the season playing the 4-4-2, although I could be wrong. For me, we didn't play the 4-5-1 effectively enough last season. Yes it was a great season for the club, but it could have been better (as we all know). Points repeatedly going astray when they shouldn't be just isn't good enough. The 4-5-1 formation can be deadly when it's played properly & especially in the attacking sense with the wide men feeding the striker consistently, but for some reason I think we played more defensively in that formation than we should have been. Defend from midfield then attack on the break seemed to become... just defend. Ok there were a few glorious moments of counter attacking genius, but overall they were sadly lacking imo.

If we continue with the 4-4-2 formation I for one wouldn't be happy at all to see Mendes replaced by BF & if they're played together I really wonder whether BF can step up his game to play the sort of football that Mendes aspires to. If he can then it could be an incredible partnership, but if not, it could be disaster with us loosing games we should never be loosing.

Yip totally agree with you post.

The 4-5-1 can be deadly but we need the wide players to be suited there. Davis isnt suited as the wide right player who can hog the touchline but is better in a 4-4-2 where he doesnt need to be out there all the time.

We got it perfect at Parkhead a few weeks ago so I wouldnt tamper too much with the 4-4-2 at the moment. Its all about getting a partnership going upfront. Lafferty and Velicka still need to prove themselves a bit but most are confident they will...especially Lafferty

by Lindsay Herron

WALTER SMITH revealed today that even although he has a wealth of talent in his midfield area Barry Ferguson wll walk straight back into the side when he is fit.

Ferguson is perhaps less than a month away from coming back in to lead the side and Smith will have no hesitation in putting him in.

The dilemma, of course, will be who to leave out when Ferguson is fit given the way Steve Davis, Pedro Mendes, Kevin Thomson et al have been playing.

Ferguson had ankle surgery in July and is now working intensely with the Murray Park medical team with a view to being ready after the next international break.

Smith said: "Barry is the captain and when he comes back he will play - simple as that. It's just a case of when.

"He had a terrific season for us last season but there was a lot of pressure on him become much of the onus was on him.

"This season we have a capability to divide that onus among different players so that will be good for all concerned.

"We will be delighted to have him back, even if it causes us a problem in terms of selection."

Im afraid thats pure wrong to just throw Ferguson back in the team. He should at least start on the bench. He probably wont even be match fit for 4-6 games. Plus we have a winning formula and are playing better football. For me Mendes is the main man now - something BF needs to get used to, and Thomson is young and has a future ahead of him.

I agree Gribz.

WS is basically saying "no matter how good or bad BF plays he is our captail and will play at all times" - that is not good for the other squad members nor is it good for Ferguson himself.

If the team are playing well without him (which it is) then he should be forced to wait on the sidelines until the team falters or there are injuries or suspensions or tiredness.