Protest Press Release

Guest damien

This is the statement being released to the press about Sunday:

We would like to start by saying that we as Rangers fans fully welcome the sectarian issue being tackled in Scotland. What we will not accept is the blame for sectarianism in Scottish football and Scotland's society starting and ending with Rangers or Rangers fans.

Over the years we feel people have manipulated the sectarian debate for their own agenda's, career's and public profiles. This includes politicans, journalists and even the media bodies they work for. We accept many genuinely have good intentions but there work is undermined by profiteers.

Recently the BBC Scotland main news bulletin had a report lasting several minutes highlighting "the famine song" under "a new sectarian storm" headline, which included highlights of the recent Old Firm game and karaokoe type lyrics across the screen so people could identify what was being sung by Rangers fans. To start with never before has this method of reporting been used when the issue of sectarian singing arises. Over the following days the story grew and evolved, this included Celtic fans Pro-IRA songs being clearly sang on the Saturday previous at Motherwell, statements from Rangers supporters groups and Rangers themselves being released. We also then had the Spanish consulate looking into death threats against Nacho Novo from Celtic fans. In the days that followed the BBC reported none of this. The BBC is paid for by the taxpayer and when reporting on all matters Political, Religious or Racial are duty bound to be impartial and give a whole account of the story. They failed on every point and not for the first time and for these reasons we will be protesting on Sunday outside their BBC Scotland HQ, the protest will be silent with protesters only having banners or placards calling for equality and non-bias when reporting on these matters.

In the days that followed we had a "journalist" appearing on several radio stations as the guy who broke the story in Ireland, a Glasgow born self confessed Celtic fan now living Donegal with a background that is more than questionable for his credibility not to be questioned. The guy is no stranger to Rangers fans and often appears on media outlets especially if there is criticism to be had of Rangers fans. If any journalist worth his salt had to dig into his background as we have done, they would find that his motives are driven by his Political Religious and Football beliefs. The journalist is also happy to use pro-IRA slogans and derogatory terms for Rangers fans i.e "huns", we have proof of all of the above that can be reviewed by anyone.

From now on anyone or anything that attempts to use the Sectarian issue in a non constructive or balanced manner will be targeted like the BBC. We WILL picket, lobby, protest and expose these people even if it means standing outside their offices for days on end. In a society where our schooling tells us were different from the age of 4, Rangers fans will not be held solely accountable or used by profiteers no more on the sectarian debate.

Craig Wilson

On Behalf of Rangers Equality.

johnnyk I should have added that Strathclyde Police have approved the protest under certain conditions, i.e. noise restrictions, etc. But as it's a peaceful protest we don't foresee it being problematic.

johnnyk I should have added that Strathclyde Police have approved the protest under certain conditions, i.e. noise restrictions, etc. But as it's a peaceful protest we don't foresee it being problematic.

Something needed to be done and this does look a very good starting point IMO. The club could be doing more but maybe they will shock us even more and come out with some more positive statements like the one earlier this week!!

I hope the neds keep away from this protest as in your post eariler ...........

TBH I'm not encouraged by some of the Bebo comments that I've saw but I have faith in the large contingent of organisers to help keep things under control.

Damien who is organising this exactly. Is it a recognised supporters group. Although it has been stated that it is a peaceful demo it could be used by more militant supporters to stir up trouble. That could be a recipe for disaster for us in the media.

pete it is being organised through Vanguard Bears and there is probably as much militancy on there as any website I know, but the difference is the learning of playing by the rules now set out. Organisation is the key as well as good self-policing. Gone are the days of ranting and raving, they'll get us nowhere, thats why a disciplined protest must be successful, if it isn't then maybe the media are right and we don't deserve a fair crack at the whip, but it's a risk we inevitably have to take one day and that day has been given to us.

pete it is being organised through Vanguard Bears and there is probably as much militancy on there as any website I know, but the difference is the learning of playing by the rules now set out. Organisation is the key as well as good self-policing. Gone are the days of ranting and raving, they'll get us nowhere, thats why a disciplined protest must be successful, if it isn't then maybe the media are right and we don't deserve a fair crack at the whip, but it's a risk we inevitably have to take one day and that day has been given to us.

I hope it works out and everything goes peacefully. The last thing we need is headlines as Rangers supporters rampage at the BBC. To be honest i only know Vanguard bear as a poster that posted a few posts on here, i didn't know there was a website of that name. I thought FF was the militant rangers website.

Glad to see Strathclyde police have approved the protest. Liverpool and Newcastle both had protests recently accepted by the police which went smoothly so it would have been embarrassing for SP to turn this down.

Good luck with this.

For me the BBC are 1 of the main problems with the UK. A mandatory licence if you want to watch TV not including there channels is nothing like a democracy...they are ran by people with a set agenda and its not only Anti Rangers info they report...they were being fed a script on 9/11 and reported the live collapse of WTC7 20 minutes BEFORE it was demolished - absolute disgrace of a corportation.