http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/303696369?-11344

If, like me, you received your copy of the accounts a few weeks back then you’ll know that this Thursday sees the yearly charade that is the annual general shareholders’ meeting. In a year that has seen Rangers reach the UEFA Cup Final, lose the SPL on the final day, go out of Europe to a Lithuanian banker’s hobby and just be beaten by St Mirren for the first time since Paisley Town centre was still seen as modern; then late morning at Ibrox Stadium this week should be interesting.

Certainly the chairman could be forgiven for thinking that had he held it a week ago the pressure may not have been quite so much as it will be now. The loss on Sunday just goes to show how the Old Firm are always one bad result away from a crisis. Nonetheless, even if we had won at the weekend, there are still many relevant and important questions for the board of directors to answer.

To begin, while all the latest online debate seems again to be concentrating on the merits and intentions behind the current attempt at terracing banter, I think there are much more concerning issues. As we read two weeks ago from Bluedell’s excellent accounts breakdown, the club debt has risen once more. Essentially, despite the superb run to the UEFA Cup Final – coupled with a reasonable showing in the CL Group Stage – if it wasn’t for the sale of Alan Hutton (and latterly Carlos Cuellar), there’s no way we’d have been able to see the spending we have over the last year or so.

Indeed, such was the fall-out from the Cuellar sale, one wonders just how upset some fans will become when they realise that unless we make the same kind of sale(s) every year, we simply cannot afford to sustain Ã?£10million+ in transfer spending every summer. It’s actually surprising just how many hands go over eyes and ears when the undeniable facts about the financial limitations of playing in Scotland can be found in our accounts. Don’t believe me? Then simply look across the Clyde to Celtic who haven’t spent much money either despite certain CL qualification this season and an active part in the last two.

As such, the single most important question for Thursday morning isn’t asking about the latest complaint about whatever journalist/TV star/radio presenter has said but what is the financial direction of our club?

Ten years ago our club had just embarked on a rebuilding programme after losing the chance of a record 10 titles in a row. From being around Ã?£30million in the black and a hugely successful domestic period; we quickly went from this era of dominance to being Ã?£80million in the red and struggling to stop Celtic from matching our modern 9IAR. Sure, we’ve managed to win a few titles since and the necessary financial downsizing has worked to a reasonable degree. However, with debt increasing for the second year on the trot, no European football this year and far from being guaranteed for next; what is the outlook for the club?

I appreciate I am being rather depressingly negative here – especially when we’re joint top of the SPL after a difficult start. However, sometimes one needs to be cruel to be kind. Rangers Football Club needs leadership. It needs organisation. It needs cohesion. It needs motivation. It needs debate. It needs structure. It needs ambition. It needs planning. It needs passion.

From all levels of the club such virtues seem to be lacking. Indeed, because of this, I see the current Rangers FC as a house of cards. On the pitch, morale seems continually low leading to inconsistency and a dearth of commitment. Off the pitch, fans are divided and the board of directors seem isolated and even absent from dealing with the valid of concerns we have. Worryingly, I see no-one taking the lead to address this. Our chairman and owner wants to sell the club; our manager sits in the stand while our players go unmotivated; our perennially injured club captain doesn’t attend games to help off the park and fan organisations are rife with problems. Surely even a great 4-2 win away to Celtic shouldn’t gloss over these obvious and long-standing issues?

The club AGM is where such topics must be debated. Let’s not be side-tracked by media red herrings about songs. Don’t allow non-stories caused by trouble-makers to detract from the main business. Rangers are second best and have been now for over 3 years. There isn’t much to suggest that is changing. That’s should be the main worry. The challenge is how to we get out of this negative vicious circle? Let’s ask the questions to ensure our responsible parties meet this challenge head on. Don’t let these people have an easy ride.

It’s time for us all to stand up and be counted.

All I know is that after Sunday there is too much paranoia about 1 defeat... it is going to happen.

Also the only thing they will defend is there silence over the terrace banter and the tattie song.

I wonder if they will bring up the threats to Novo and the horrendous vandalism that has again been seen against MacGregor?

One defeat will happen mate - and more. We shouldn't over-react when we are beaten.

However, it's the way we are defeated that is most disappointing. The same faults are evident and with the finances looking worse and worse, then we soon won't be able to buy our way out of trouble.

The songs issue is a valid one and I don't blame anyone for wanting to raise it. However, it's not the most important one and we cannot allow the subject to sidetrack us from questions about our club's financial and operational strategy.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/303696369?-11344

.......... if it wasn�t for the sale of Alan Hutton (and latterly Carlos Cuellar), there�s no way we�d have been able to see the spending we have over the last year or so.

.......... Rangers Football Club needs leadership. It needs organisation. It needs cohesion. It needs motivation. It needs debate. It needs structure. It needs ambition. It needs planning. It needs passion.

...........From all levels of the club such virtues seem to be lacking. Indeed, because of this, I see the current Rangers FC as a house of cards. Worryingly, I see no-one taking the lead to address this.

..........Rangers are second best and have been now for over 3 years. There isn�t much to suggest that is changing. That�s should be the main worry.

..........It�s time for us all to stand up and be counted.

Such a good post. So many problems.

The issue for me isn't that we sold Cuellar and Hutton, it's that we are developing so few of them. We're now in a position, as you rightly say, where we have to be selling these sort of players - but don't have the people or infrastructure to produce them. So we not only have too few sellable players to raise income from, we also have to go out and spend money to replace them. It's utter madness and shows beyond doubt the lack of foresight and understanding - the sheer absence of the leadership you also identify.

Years of precedent says Murray will only bring more of the same and Smith was a consumate solution for Murray's discomfort at his own PLG mess, but never a solution for Rangers. There won't be debate at the AGM and we all know there won't be elsewhere either so long as this chairman in in place. We're left to be observers in a storm, hoping like hell that there will be something left when it's all over.

The start to the season (Europe excepted) has merely provided mild but temporary relief from the growing and increasingly urgent crisis gathering around this club.

You are right MF... There is poverty of genuine debate at the AGM but one could contend that's because we allow this to be the case.

We've all seen the way the event has gone in recent years but I don't think of any us have used certain channels (especially the AGM itself) to air grievances about the event's credibility. I'd urge anyone going today to try and raise this issue.

Of course a few questions at an AGM won't solve the main problems we face. That requires much more in depth analysis and investigation. Unfortunately, that is much more difficult to address than simply listing the issues here. The challenges our club faces have been evident now for a number of years but we're no closer to finding a solution - or at least a credible, workable way to debate them while pressuring the regime to join us at the table.

Is anyone going? Meeting up beforehand?

I'm rather embarrassed to say that despite my rallying call in the original post, unavoidable work commitments means I can't 'stand up and be counted' today...

:brick::sigh:

Guest damien

Don't be embarrassed Frankie as youknow as well as I do that the AGM is all setup and a waste of time really, he'll go on about the great turnover last year, throw in the big 'but', go on about the credit crunch affecting the club and disappointment of going out of Europe early, and how he is 'this close' to dealing with the media, blah, blah, blah.

A fixed questiontime is the usual order of the day with no real questions being allowed to be asked and if one does slip through then no real answer given.

Forgive my sceptisim but we been there before.

Although I do hope someone asks him about the graffiti, 24 hours Dave?

True Damien but I'd still like to have went and tried my best to ask a few questions I have.

I can't really complain about the event if I don't go and at least attempt to get my voice heard.

Few things from the AGM:

1. SDM admitted JJB were not contributing to their part of the deal well enough but if they went bust the rights would return to the club immediately.

2. Secondly, apparently they tried to end the QandA after 25mins to uproar. It was extended by the chairman after shouts of disgrace etc.

3. Apparently, SDM also blamed web-culture for media negativity.

4. G4S Security are protecting Novo while others patrol other employee localities.

5. Complete review of match ticket distribution.

6. Development proposal will be rubber stamped by GCC tomorrow (see other thread). No stadium capacity increase at this time due to economic downturn.