Oct 24 2008 by Hugh Keevins

WEST BROM will go back in for Rangers’ Kevin Thomson in the January transfer window.

The midfielder was a target for Tony Mowbray in the summer and the Midlands club have been monitoring developments since.

The return of Barry Ferguson from long-term injury plus the signings of Pedro Mendes and Steve Davis may reduce Thomson’s chances of a regular game at Ibrox. The right transfer fee could tempt Rangers to part with the player they bought from Hibs for Ã?£2million 18 months ago.

Thomson has recently had to contend with becoming the victim of mindless vandalism, having had his car daubed with slogans in Edinburgh.

Last week in an interview with Record Sport, he told how he hoped not to become part of the Old Firm goldfish bowl.

He said: “If I wanted to draw attention to myself I could. But I’m a quiet-living guy.”

West Brom have made a decent start to the Premiership after winning promotion last season but last Saturday’s 4-0 hammering from Manchester United convinced Mowbray new signings are necessary.

He said: “We know the positions that need to be addressed and we’ll be doing that in January.”

Not the most reliable of sources, I know, but still thought it was worth discussing especially considering the whole 'Who gets dropped?' question surrounding Barry's return.

Personally I'm a big fan of Thomson and would be sad to see him go especially to a rotten mob like West Brom.

I hate how we're so narrow-minded (not so much us as fans but because we know how unambitious our management are with team selections) that it has already been pre-determined someone drops out for Ferguson.

Considering our apparent lack of natural width I'd be happy to see Walter try a genuine 4-3-3 (none of this '4-3-3 when attacking and 4-5-1 when defending nonsense) with the 3 consisting of Thomson holding and Ferguson and Mendes further forward with possibly Boyd or Miller as the figurehead and the likes of Lafferty and Novo either side but playing as genuine attacking threats as opposed to in the midfield. But that's just one way of fitting in all 3 .

So is it set in stone that Thomson gets dropped? If so, may we aswell cash in on him?

If Ferguson comes back in place of Thomson and doesnt perform then WS has to eat humble pie.

Im not Thomsons biggest fan but i would agree with Beattie that i would like to see a proper 4-3-3.

Ferguson is 30 now and Thomson is around 23, but Thomson isnt near the player Ferguson was at that age. BUt he may be the type of player who gets better with age. But being dropped for someone on reputation is harsh for any player.

ID rather see Hemdani get sold first - he is a player i rate and like but he isnt going to feature so id get him off the books first