RANGERS Football Club will pay tribute to the brave Scottish servicemen and women who have just returned from active duty in Afghanistan at Saturday's SPL game with Inverness Caledonian Thistle at Ibrox.

Over 50 members of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Battalion, 5th Royal Regiment of Scotland will be introduced to a packed crowd at half-time this weekend.

Rangers legend Ally McCoist and defender Steven Whittaker joined members of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Battalion at Murray Park today to promote this weekend's activity, which will also include a can collection in aid of Poppyscotland.

Poppyscotland support Scottish veterans in many ways - including help in dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, the physical effects of serious battle wounds and also help families who have lost loved ones on active duty.

McCoist said: "We are delighted to welcome the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Battalion to Ibrox on Saturday and are fully behind Poppyscotland's 2008 appeal.

"Footballers are often regarded as heroes but the people who serve and fight on the front line for their country are the real heroes and it will be an honour for us to have them at Ibrox."

Rangers legend Harold Davis has also sent the Club a message of support. He served with the King's Own Scottish Borderers during the Korean War - and recovered from serious shrapnel wounds to play for Rangers.

He was delighted to learn the club has invited the returning servicemen and women to the game this weekend.

Harold, who represented the Light Blues with distinction between 1956 and 1964 and is now settled in Inverness, said: "Unfortunately I am unable to attend Saturday's match on medical advice.

"But I am thrilled Rangers are honouring the returning heroes who have put their lives on the line in Afghanistan. This is a wonderful gesture by the club and I am sure they will receive a well-deserved standing ovation by the crowd at Ibrox."

Rangers will also wear a specially embroidered poppy on their strip when Walter Smith's side visit Rugby Park to play Kilmarnock on Sunday, 9 November and the club will make a donation to Poppyscotland in support of their 2008 appeal.

Rangers Chief Executive Martin Bain added: "Honouring these brave individuals is not something we pay lip service to.

"Our recognition of these men and women, who are the true heroes in life, is a constant by all those who support or work for Rangers Football Club.

"I know the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Battalion were delighted to accept our invitation to attend Saturday's game.

"But the pleasure is all ours and our supporters will give them a wonderful and deserved reception this weekend."

Sgt Major David Robertson, from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Battalion, 5th Royal Regiment of Scotland, said: "We are all really looking forward to visiting Ibrox on Saturday.

"Sometimes when you are stuck in a place like Helmand Province you wonder how people back home feel about what we are doing.

"Gestures like this make us feel appreciated and I thank Rangers for the kind invitation. I am also delighted to hear the Club is hosting a can collection for Poppyscotland on Saturday.

"Charities like this are a massive help and secure better futures for our people and their families. This fundraising is imperative and really helps soldiers who have been seriously wounded or traumatised through their experiences."

An excellent gesture and hopefully it'll get the support that it deserves :rfc:

3 cheers for the red white and blue,

3 cheers for the red white and blue

for the army and the navy and the RAF

3 cheers for the red white and blue

Cammy F