STEVIE WHITTAKER is desperate to get back ino the Rangers line-up after effecitvely missing the first three months of the season.

The former Hibs star has not featured since the first SPL game of the campaign at Falkirk, largely due to a troublesome knee problem,

However, he is fully fit and raring to go now. He said: "I'm ready to return. I came through my first reserve game during the week and I've trained with the boys for a couple of weeks now.

"I'm just looking to get some match practice and return to the team. Hopefully, I will travel with the team on Saturday. It's always nice to be involved in some sort of form.

"If I can make the bench then I'll be delighted to pull on a strip and hopefully get back involved.

"I didn't have an operation but I had three injections in my knee to help the pain go away. It's still with me a little bit but it's not stopping me from doing anything.

"I'm getting through training and games fine and I'm just looking to return."

Whittaker believes the current Rangers squad is even stronger than the one who won two domestic trophies and reached the UEFA Cup final last year and he is well aware of just how tough a task it will be to force his way back into Walter Smith's plans.

"At a club like Rangers, you are always going to have competition for your position, no matter where you play on the field," Whittaker said.

"There is lots of competition and whoever is playing well will keep their place in the team. The boys have done well and the performances have been good so it's difficult for anyone to get back into the team.

"It just comes from hard work and trying to impress in training and reserve games. Hopefully, I get a chance and perform well and take it.

"We've got a lot of talent throughout the team. There are a lot of players who can play in the first team and it's just about fighting for a place in the first XI.

"The bigger squad was needed last year. We're not in Europe this year, which is the disappointing thing - everyone would have been needed if we were in Europe.

"A lot of players might have time on the sidelines now, and it's never easy for a player not to be playing. But, with the right attitude and hard work, hopefully we will all get a chance."

Ferguson has been out of action for five months but has vowed to be back better than ever following successful ankle surgery in the summer.

Whittaker believes Rangers have missed their captain despite a decent start to the campaign.

He said: "It's good to have him back and see him doing what he does best. He came through the reserve game well and he's just like me now, looking to get some matches under his belt and get some match fitness and try to return to the squad.

"He's a massive influence. He has been captain of the club for several years and he is a top player to have in your team.

"At a club like Rangers, you need your best players playing well. It's important he gets match fit as quickly as possible."

And, like every Rangers fan, Whittaker is relishing the prospect of seeing Ferguson and Pedro Mendes play in the same midfield for the first time.

He added: "Barry has shown over the years that he can score goals and create from the midfield. And we have seen what Pedro can do since he has been at the club.

"So it's exciting to have them both in there and I'm sure we won't be short of goalscoring chances."

Interesting. Should we put Whittaker back into his natural RB position and try Broadfoot out at centre back to partner Bougherra?

Davie Weir does a fine job but id rather see someone who is to be there long term make a partnership with Bougherra (who has been a breath of fresh air after the loss of Cuellar).

This Inverness game is a great opportunity to make such move.

Interesting. Should we put Whittaker back into his natural RB position and try Broadfoot out at centre back to partner Bougherra?

Davie Weir does a fine job but id rather see someone who is to be there long term make a partnership with Bougherra (who has been a breath of fresh air after the loss of Cuellar).

This Inverness game is a great opportunity to make such move.

I don't fancy Broadfoot's aerial ability so i don't really fancy him at CB. I would give him the chance to prove himself though.

I don't fancy Broadfoot's aerial ability so i don't really fancy him at CB. I would give him the chance to prove himself though.

Yeah i agree, at the moment id be hoping for someone better to partner Bougherra long term and have Broadfoot as a back up....but as you say, guve the lad a chance.....certainly ahead of McCulloch anyway