The Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra is determined to repeat his victorious Old Firm debut after his family demanded tickets for the next game against Celtic. The centre-back helped Rangers to a 4-2 win at Celtic Park, weeks after joining the club from Charlton in August.

His family were so captivated by the spectacle as they watched on television in France that they are planning to visit Ibrox for the next Glasgow derby on 27 December. "All of my family are coming over for the match from France because they have seen me playing against Celtic on TV and said they wanted to come and watch an Old Firm game," Bougherra said. "Now we have to win at home because there will be pressure on us to win and also because my family are coming. I've had a lot of texts from them looking for tickets so I can't let them down."

The 26-year-old has slotted in seamlessly to the Ibrox central defence following his �£2.5m move. He has also shown his gratitude to veteran defender David Weir for helping him settle in. "He is an excellent player and he has really helped me," Bougherra said.

"He is always in the right place and people in other teams never get past him. I have been so impressed with David. I have never played beside a big defender like him before and, at 38, he has so much experience. I think it is better for me to play with someone like him because I am learning from him all the time. He is really good to listen to and I am always looking at the positions he takes up.

"My partner in defence at Charlton was Luke Young before he left us to go to Middlesbrough. He was strong and a hard man to get past at the back but he was a completely different player to David. It is hard to pick them apart but I would say David is probably the best I have played with."

Has looked good from what i have seen. A pity he could not have played beside the King.

Agree with TB...

Generally he's had a good season - his distribution is usually especially sound - but he had a nightmare against Utd. Seems to struggle a wee bit against more physical players.

We've rejected a �£3million offer from Marseille for him so it may not matter too much what we think if they up that by another couple of million... :(

Agree with TB...

Generally he's had a good season - his distribution is usually especially sound - but he had a nightmare against Utd. Seems to struggle a wee bit against more physical players.

We've rejected a �£3million offer from Marseille for him so it may not matter too much what we think if they up that by another couple of million... :(

Not again Rangers, please lets hold on to our better players in Jan. :brick:

Marseille's �£3mil bid was news to me, though now appears to be common knowledge on the net.

I'm all for us getting decent players in, getting a good season or two out of them and selling them at a profit. If we can copy the ajax system where they always bring a replacement of similar ability and repeat. It's the only way to compete/survive in the smaller leagues where you cannot demand the enormous t.v. money. It alos relies on the club management/scouts to spot a replacement or bring one through from the reserves.

However, only if we can maintain success whilst doing this and it is a hard thing to balance with the lack of consistency in the squad.

It is though getting frustrating that a player only needs have 2-3 good months and we're already preparing to flog them.

As Madjid cost �£2.5 mil I reckon a bid of around �£4-5mil could see him leave. Would anyone bid that for him though when we paid considerably less just a few months previously.

Can anyone confirm if MB played any competitive games for Charlton in 2008-09. If he did, he cannot be sold in January 2009 under the three teams in one season rule.

If he didn't play for them he is in the same boat as every other Rangers player come January, if a decent fee comes in they are off. We need to balance the books and our chairman has proven over the last two/three years that this takes precedence over squad strength.

Thanks Frankie.

In that case he may well go in January, depending on offers that come in. I have not been so impressed with him that I think an EPL or Championship team will look to pay big money for him.

Previously Cuellar, Hutton and Boumsong's reputations have been gained by showing great form in European football. The absense of Euro football and a couple of less than impressive performances domestically wont exactly get the big money teams running to Ibrox with their cheque book, so I think MB will be safe for this season.

As far as I am concerned I already have Thomson as a certainty to be away in January as I have pointed out a few times now.

It will just depend how much we get for him, and how many fringe players we can get rid of, to see if we can afford to not lose another regular starter.