Rangers affiliated football teams.

Just had a look at the thread starting "Davie Cooper tattoos" and saw a guy with a really big tattoo of Bochum(from Germany) and Rangers f.c.

It got me wondering just how many football teams around the world Rangers are closeley associated with.

The Bochum one i never knew about as in Germany i always thought Rangers fans had an affinity with SV Hamburg fans.

So, anyone care to give us a few teams Rangers fans tend to lean towards?

good times! :D

Met the bochum boys when I finished a summer round europe with the gers tour of germany... met andy gorum on the train from dortmund with some of the bochum boys, and even swapped an old away shirt for an orange effort of bochums! was a cracking group and took me under their wing (was on my own over there and met a couple of them at the lipptstadt game). Actually managed to spot me in the middle of one of the big group efforts! :thup:

Talking about other clubs with gers affinities... Been watching MOTD and spotted gers flags in the crowd before (although not sure if thats just gers fans taking in a prem game). think it was chelsea a while ago, and i swore i saw another one in a chelsea gema but thought it was in the blackburn end (lots of empties!) I think the other one was at the riverside!

A fair number of English sides have Scottish connections, either going back to their founding, or Scots players continually being the spine of the team.

Millwall's badge is also the rampant lion, they were founded in part by Scottish dockworkers. In the early-eighties, I worked in west London for a year, I often crosseed the Thames to find the more Scottish football experience. The larger terrace behind the goals at Cold Blow lane contained numerous small groupings of exiled Scots, watching Millwall - Wrexham/Blackpool/West Brom ........etc; but intently listening to BBC Radio Scotland for the progress of Falkirk, Airdrie, Hibs, ........... Rangers.

Another south London club, Brentford regularly had a dozen Scots players on their books, in the 20s and 30s, ten out of the eleven would be Scottish. Preston North end were another club that regularly had over a dozen Scots on their books. I have a football annual from the mid-sixties, 'the Topical Times Book of Football' and it refers to PNE as Preston Scottish.

Our biggest export has often been our people, well educated and skilled without sufficient opportunity in our own land. We took our culture(s) with us, our obsession with fitba' being one. Travel to Hong Kong, East and West Africa, Canada, ......etc, you will find the Caledonian/St Andrews Society, the Masonic Lodge, and the RSC are all one and the same membership.

Edited by 26th of foot

Very interesting lads, i appreciate sharing your knowlege oon this subject.

Frankie, the badge of Villa isn't showing ??

I said i knew about the Millwall connection, what about Burnley?(lots of Scots players) and Cardiff?

I know Cardiff have had so many ex Rangers players on their books that i'd find it hard for their fans not to be interested in our club as a result of that.

Thanks for that Robert - didn't know about that - very interesting!

No worries. I only stumbled across the connections myself after following them for a few years.

The motto under their badge is 'Prepared,' a bit too similar to Aye Ready to be a coincidence if you ask me but then I would say that. :thup:

There's a picture of their old badge here too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Aston_Villa_FC.png

The badge has changed a few times over the years.

Funnily enough, I only became a fan because at age five or six my old Maw took me to Robert's Store on Argyle Street and told me to pick a jersey - already had the light blue 'Gers crew neck with the sew-it-oan-yirsel badge.

I liked the Villa colours but it was only an accident of positioning on the rail that I didn't end up a West Ham fan.

Happy accident as it turned out - Villa won the European cup a few years later. :drink: