The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month

Folks...

At 11am I'd like to ask that no-one posts for a couple of minutes while we remember our fallen.

I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,

Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love;

The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,

That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;

The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,

The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.

RemembrancePoppies.jpg

Edited by Frankie

Having attended numerous Remembrance services over the years, the most pertinent, most resonating part for me, is the piping lament, 'Flowers of the Forrest'. A simple repeating melody commemorating the shared experience suffered in all Scottish lowland towns in the wake of Flodden Field. A Coronet arrived and read out the 'casualty list', 90% in most cases.

The significance of the above really hit home to me 25 years past in the small Cumbrian village of Warcop. After the Remembrance service, I moved forward to the stone War Memorial and noticed the first three names, all shared the same surname but differed in rank. A Brigadier, a Major, and a Subaltern had all perished in two years between 1915-17. Three generations of the same family made the ultimate sacrifice. A repeating refrain.

The other dozen and a half names told another story, at least a dozen of those perished in two months in 1916, obviously members of the Pals Battalions of the great fall-in of ealier that year. Imagine the devastation in such a short period to such a small village. A shared experience.

I wish Rangers would place a Piper on the pitch on Remembrance weekend, let the memory of those that have ensured our liberty and freedom resonate around the Stadium.

A fabulous suggestion.

Seconded...

Another song that should be considered is Green Fields Of France :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCvSc2b8CWc&feature=related]YouTube - The Green Fields of France[/ame]

Cammy F

i just found out that my great grandfather died at ypres and is buried in an unmarked grave in belgium. He served with the cameron highlanders. Just watched a WW1 program about ypres too. Makes me want to go over just to see his name on the wall of rememberance. fucking unbelievable what the had to and were expected to do in that catastrophy of a war.

Knowingly sent to the slaughter by their own leaders.

i consider guys like kitchener and Haig war criminals for the way they sent their own men to their deaths.

A damned bloody disgrace.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

--------------------------------------------------------

They shall grow not old,

As we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them,

Nor the years condemn,

At the going down of the sun

And in the morning

We will remember them.

* Laurence Binyon (1869-1943)*

Agreed RE the Piper on the pitch, i'd gladly offer my services free of charge for the honor of piping on the hallowed turf while fellow britons remember the fallen. I've piped at many a parade and although I will never truly appreciate the feelings and the loss felt by the friend's and family's of the hero's who give their life's without even a second thought, I will always be proud to salute them.