Rangers v Aberdeen ââ?¬â?? A One Way Rivalry?

Given that we entertain our friends from the North East at Ibrox this weekend, I thought that it may be a good time to examine the intense rivalry that this fixture generates, both in the present day and in the bygone days of yore.

Generally, I believe that since the nineties, we have (and the OF in general) have left Aberdeen in our shadow and for this Bear, the intensity of this game has dropped several notches. Don’t get me wrong, I still lookout for this fixture and still enjoy the passion that it generates and it still gives me an extra pleasure defeating the Dons (almost as pleasant as defeating the MOPES). I believe that most Rangers fans will share this opinion and would believe that the rivalry is fast becoming a ‘one-way street’. Sections of the Aberdeen fans still look at us as the ‘hated enemy’, the one team that they want to be victorious over every time they play us. In fact, they still sing to the MOPES : ‘We Hate Rangers More than You’.

Was this rivalry always as one sided? You bet it wasn’t. When I first started attending Rangers games regularly, the New Firm of Aberdeen and Dundee UTD were the ‘teams to beat’ and were ahead (footballing wise) of the Old Firm. Given this, they would regularly defeat Rangers both home and away. Trips to Tannidice were never fraught with danger, they never generated a poisonous atmosphere, they were just normal run of the mill games. In fact, in the early 80’s the same could be said of trips to Pittodrie. This fixture would see Rangers supporters clubs travelling up to Aberdeen and staying over in or around the city and enjoying a Saturday night out on the town.

Everything in the Aberdeen garden was rosy around this time, they were the top dogs and whilst they were rubbing our noses in it on the pitch, they appeared to at least tolerate us, if not welcome us, into their city prior and post match. Now, like any city centre on a Saturday night, there were a few scuffles as drunk fans clashed with locals, a few full blown fights would also be witnessed, but like I said, this was true of all town centres at the weekends. It has to be pointed out here, and in no way am I condoning the violence, but there were ‘fist fights’ that were generally over before they begun.

So what happened to change this situation? Some people point to the Durrant / Simpson incident (it certainly didn’t help matters). Some (especially Aberdeen fans) point to an incident where Willie (Bud) Johnston appeared to stand on the neck of an Aberdeen player (John McMaster if my memory serves me correctly). Some will point to the birth of the much maligned (and blamed for almost all football related violence) the football casuals. Some will also remember and point to the violent scenes during and after the Rangers v Aberdeen game at Ibrox in 1985-1986 were Aberdeen won 3-0 and two Rangers players were sent off. During the game, Rangers fans from the East Enclosure invaded the pitch and after the game, I witnessed the 2nd worst example of violence I have ever encountered at a game. The Rangers fans streamed out Ibrox before fulltime and a large number gathered behind the Broomie where the Aberdeen fans were housed and as soon as they were released, the gathered Rangers fans steamed in and gave them what can only be described as a ‘good seeing to’. Again, I am not condoning this violence, but it is an example of how intense this rivalry was. The pitch invasion can be viewed here

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUkUSDLH45k&feature=related]YouTube - Ibrox pitch invasion 1985[/ame]

In truth, the rivalry had been building over the years and all of the above played their part in perpetrating this rivalry, but it was to at its most intense after a certain Mr David Holmes brought in a certain Mr Graeme Souness as Rangers manager. This bold decision changed the face of Scottish Football and the sleeping giant that was Rangers FC was finally awakened. We were no longer 3rd or 4th best, we were back where we belonged. Normal service had been restored. We all know that we finally won our first league title in a decade when we secured a 1-1 draw at Pittodrie – this coupled with Celtc’s shock 2-1 home defeat by Falkirk – meant Rangers were CHAMPIONS. The game is famous for so many things – Butchers goal, Souness’ red card and the jubilant scenes after the game. Personally, I’ll never forget this day as long as I live. Not just for the above, but for the generosity of a few Aberdeen fans (yip, you’ve read that correctly). Four of us had gone up to the game and only I had a ticket. The other three couldn’t get a ticket prior to the game, so I sold mine (face value) to another Bear and me and my 3 mates trudged to a ‘carry-out’ shop to get some beer and trudge to the hill that overlooks Pittodrie. There were hundreds of Rangers fans up there and a wee party ensued. If you watch the footage below of the game, wee Durranty wheels away after the goal and ‘celebrates’ the goal with those up on the hill (or so we’d like to think). Anyway, at halftime, all those of the hill walked down to Pittodrie and joined forces with hundreds of other fans at the Aberdeen end trying to negotiate entry! The Police were actually OK as they told us that they would allow us access to the ground if and when Rangers won the league. They would hold us there and allow us access when the Aberdeen fans had left. As they were conveying this, a door was being opened to allow more Police to leave the ground and ‘watch’ those gathered around the Aberdeen end. The Rangers fans saw their opportunity, and charged the gate. The sheer numbers forced the gate open and we ran into the stadium with the Police giving chase. I was helped up into the stand and was sat amongst the Aberdeen fans by two elderly ‘Dons’. Thanks to them, I and my 3 friends witnessed the majority of the 2nd half and the celebrations in their entirety :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPkaTZ_qT24]YouTube - Aberdeen v Rangers (2 May 1987) - 1/3[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LD7giiV-aM&feature=related]YouTube - Aberdeen v Rangers (2 May 1987) - 2/3[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LD7giiV-aM&feature=related]YouTube - Aberdeen v Rangers (2 May 1987) - 3/3[/ame]

During the early 90’s Rangers were in the infancy stages of what would turn out to be out 9-in-a-row era and whilst Celtc were self-destructing on and off the field, Aberdeen became our main on and off the field rivals. This saw some titanic battles not only in the league, but in both domestic cup competitions - none more so that the two fantastic league cup games that ended 3-2 to Rangers and a Rangers penalty shoot-out victory after a brilliant 3-3 draw.

Rangers fans of my generation and older will also remember the game that won us the league in 1990-1991 – Aberdeen came into the final game of the season ahead of Rangers on points (we had just lost 3-0 to Motherwell the previous week) and had to endure the loss of our captain Terry Butcher and our manager Graeme Souness earlier in the season. Walter Smith was the man appointed by David Murray to ensure that we secured our 3rd consecutive title. Given the slip up at Motherwell the week before, this wasn’t a formality. Aberdeen went into the game needing just a point. Rangers went into the game with injury worries and these increased during the game and Tom Cowan actually played part of the game with a broken leg. Nigal Spackman captained the team to a wonderful 2-0 victory with the much maligned Mark Hateley scoring both goals. His opener was a joy to behold. Mark Walters swung in a beautiful cross and Hateley rose magesitcally to rise above Alex McLeish and slam an unstoppable header into the roof of the net – cue bedlum around Ibrox.

Edited by CammyF

CONTINUED

It was around this time that Rangers started a period of dominance of Scottish Football that had and hasn’t been surpassed. During this period, Rangers won the league easily on most occasions and instead of Aberdeen challenging, more main challengers were the likes of Motherwell and Hearts. Celtc then got their act together off and on the pitch and emerged once again as our main rivals. I believe that this fact more than any other irked the Dons and they had to resort to some depraved actions to try to restore the intensity of the Rangers v Aberdeen game. These depraved acts included booing during a minutes silence for Ranger & Scotland legend (and captain) George Young, vile chants regarding the Ibrox disaster and the as vile and disgusting ditties relating to Durrant / Simpson. Also around this time (or a little previous), the rise of the Soccer Casual had reached a crescendo and there were numerous high profile clashed involving Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibs who boasted the three biggest firms in Scotland. Inevitably, some innocent and some not so innocent fans got dragged into the violence (wrong place and wrong time). But again, this was something that wasn't confined to Rangers v Aberdeen games at the time – casual related violence was happening the length and breadth of the country with some normal fans on the peripherals of this violence (and some stuck bang in the middle of it!). There were tales of innocent Rangers fans being attacked in Aberdeen by gangs of Dons fans targeting Rangers fans with kids etc.

The only major incident recently was the pitch invasion of the Aberdeen fans as they tried to attack the Rangers support at Pittodrie after a coin throwing incident. That was the evening where Big Amo showed his class on and off the pitch. He helped defuse the situation then won the game with a thunderbolt of a shot.

So where now for this rivalry? No doubt we will witness a continuation of this rivalry from the travelling Dons on Saturday as they show no sign for relenting on this bitter and twisted campaign. Personally, and I believe this to be true of most Rangers supporters, whilst it always gives added pleasure defeating the Dons (more goals the better), this isn’t a bonified rivalry, Aberdeen are currently a minor irritation. Would I like to see a rise in the rivalry again? Off course, if its for the correct reasons. If Aberdeen were to become a force again (its been almost two decades since they were a force) and if they were challenging us for league titles and domestic cups, then yes, the more high pressure, intense and passionate games the better.

Cammy F :rfc:

Edited by CammyF

Perhaps due to my age, I'm only really old enough to remember the beginnings of NIAR, I don't really consider Aberdeen more than a minor irritation.

A few disgusting songs during a fixture annoy me and then their forgotten til next time.

They are inconsequential.

Excellent read though Cammy :thup:

Interesting to read about the origins of the rivalry and some new info there for me.

As a boy in the early seventies I remember being in the centenary stand with my father, seated next to 2 aberdeen fans,there was no problem then.

I think it is one sided,from Aberdeen.Always thought it would be a laugh to sing we hate celtic more than you to Aberdeen fans.

Thanks for a good read

Excellent read Cammy.

I think coming from Aberdeen I know first hand the hatred towards Rangers from certain Aberdeen fans and have been in the wrong place and the wrong time on a few occasions.

I assumed it really kicked off after the Durrant/Simpson tackle but was unaware of it before that. Around 1987 was the time i can remember back to.

A percentage of Aberdeen fans are still stuck in the 80s and they cant accept they are a small club and was now always be miles behind Rangers and they resort to bile.

I used to look forward to these games at Ibrox or Pittodrie more than OF games as more so than not id go to school and gloat on the Monday.

Whats the song again...17 years since you won..since you won at ibrox.....